MR. BEER - Type of Hops in their HME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schumed

Reaction score
I picked up some MR. BEER refill kits on clearance and was thinking of combining a couple of them...in particular Whispering Wheat and High Country. I was just curious what type of hops is in the HME.

Not really finding any good info on this subject.

Anyone know

I'm going to go for it regardless....just wanted to put it in my notes.

It is "proprietary" information that only the brewers at Mr Beer know I believe. That being said, the Whispering Wheat has almost no hops typical to a wheat beer. I personally wouldn't mix the two, but that is just me. I also got started with a Mr Beer and really like the Whispering Wheat if you add a lb of wheat DME and use a wheat yeast, I use Danstar Munich. If you do decide to combine them, report back because I'm curious how that one turns out!

Good point on it being "proprietary" would figure someone on here would have a good idea.... my pallet isn't that define yet to tell :)

Never used Mr. Beer before (been doing all-grain) just saw them sitting there at the store looking for a home thought I would brew it up for "sh** and giggles" does MR. beer have any one kind of yeast or do the different refills have different yeast for the different styles...looking at the package it all looks to be the same. that is why I figured if the yeast is the same adding two different ones should turn out okay...but wasn't sure what kind of hop profile it would produce.

They only have one yeast, but in my opinion it is pretty weak. If you have a LHBS close by I wold suggest tossing the Mr Beer yeast in the boil for yeast nutrient and pick up something like Coopers that is cheap. Also, if you are making a 5 gallon batch, I would say you are going to want to mash some grains to go with it unless you want a really low ABV beer.

I still do a few Mr. Beer mixes (tweaked, of course) a year for a quick, easy and surprisingly tasty brew. I don't use their yeast but have read on their forum that if you do, use at least 2 and preferably 3 packs. I just use 05 yeast.
And, they don't mention the hops so I doubt you'll ever find out but I agree, I wouldn't mix the 2 HME's you have.

Back