Trouble getting the correct tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RugerRedhawk

Reaction score
I found a local plumbing supply store that has milky white poly tubing that is rated for ice making, beverage dispesnisng, fda approved, etc.... Problem is that it doesn't stretch like the vinyl stuff. My quick disconnect posts seem to be set up so that I can just barely stretch 3/16" viny tubing over them. However i don't think there's a chance at all that I could get the poly stuff to stretch over the barbs in the 3/16" diameter poly tubing. I bought 20ft of the 1/4", but the more I read the less it seems like a good idea. What are my options? Are there different disconnects I need to buy? Will the poly tubing stretch more than I think it will if I put it in boiling water? Or can I just turn the serving pressure down and use the 1/4"? This is my first time setting this up. Is there a huge disadvantage to having 20 feet of 1/4" tubing?

The stuff I bought was just $0.19 a foot, so I guess I could buy 10 feet of the 3/16" to try as well. I can always use the 1/4" for gas if I can manage to get the 3/16" over the QD barbs somehow.

edit: well I found this old thread and it sounds like boiling water will get hard poly 3/16 tubing onto a 1/4" barb! https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/connecting-3-16-poly-beer-line-1-4-ball-lock-disconnect-45763/

Well since I have already made the thread here. I assume there's no issue with using 1/4" hose (assuming it is properly rated for pressure) for the gas line instead of the 5/16" I see on keg supply websites right?

Check out McMasterCarr.com they will have anything you need.

Thanks, I should have mentioned that I'm making things overly complicated by trying to get this done quickly and thus am limited to what's available locally. I think this 3/16" poly tubing will work great now that I know I can heat it and get it over the barb. I already bought 20 feet of the 1/4" stuff, but it was only $4 and I can use some of it for the gas line so it's not a huge deal.

Back