Primary Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GoleyBrew

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brewed my first batch this past Monday. It's a Brewers Best Imperial Nut Brown kit. Yesterday (Tuesday) it was fermenting like crazy. Today (Wednesday) it has slowed down to a bubble every 3 seconds. Is it normal to slow this fast?

Thanks and sorry for the newbie question,
Rob

One of the most frequently asked questions :) Yes, it is perfectly normal.

Do you have a hydrometer? Airlock activity is a poor indicator of fermentation activity for a number of reasons.

Great thanks. Being my first batch I'm finding myself a little paranoid about every detail. Yes I do have a hydrometer. Honestly though I don't have a great understanding of how it works yet. I'm planning to move the batch into secondary fermentation on Saturday.

Rob

I went through the same thing on my first batch and it tasted awesome. I'm on my 4th now and I have had all types of different air lock activity. Just hang in there. It will taste great!

Yes I do have a hydrometer. Honestly though I don't have a great understanding of how it works yet.

So here's a basic summary: You are measuring the density in comparison to water. The hydrometer will sink more in less dense fluids. So you take a sample, you read it, now you know the density of the wort/beer.

The density changes during fermentation because alcohol is less dense than water -- so it will get less dense over time. If the hydrometer reading is not changing from day to day, then you know that the "attenuative" phase of fermentation is done, i.e. the phase where the sugar is converted to alcohol. The beer may likely still benefit from some time in the "conditioning" phase of fermentation.

You can also get a ballpark ABV estimate by measuring the difference between the original gravity (OG) and final gravity (FG). The idea is that since the majority of the density change is due to sugar changing into alcohol, you should be able to calculate how much alcohol there is based on that change (there are other things that happen that affect the density, so ABV estimates based on gravity readings are just that: estimates). I forget the formula; just google for it and it's easiest to plug it into an online calculator or brewing software.

I'm planning to move the batch into secondary fermentation on Saturday.

You may want to read around on this site a bit first.

For starters, you shouldn't rack to secondary until you are sure the attenuative phase is done, i.e. the hydrometer reading isn't changing. That will probably be the case by Saturday, but you should make sure. Otherwise you can wind up with what's called a "stuck fermentation" and the beer could taste overly sweet and have a low alcohol content.

There is also a growing school of thought that secondaries are not particularly necessary. There's a lot of controversy over this, though, so you need to read what people say and make your own decision.

I think a lot of people agree, though, that most beers benefit from about 2 weeks in the primary. Whether you bottle at that point, or rack it to a secondary, or just let it sit in the primary for longer, that's a matter of personal preference. But IMO it will be better if you wait at least 14 days before taking action.

There are some who would disagree with me, though, so make your own decision. Just know that it's not as cut-and-dried as a lot of kit instructions make it out to be, and that furthermore a LOT of people will tell you that racking it after so few days is probably a mistake.

By the way, I don't mean to intimidate! If you rack it on Saturday and do everything exactly the way you planned, I'm sure everything will be just fine. It's hard to make really bad beer.

That's good to hear. My batch is fermenting in an ale pale so the air lock is about all I have to look at. Also, paranoia is keeping me from opening the lid.

Thanks for all the information jsweet. I took a reading before I added the yeast. I'll read up on it when I get home from work.

Question about the secondary fermentation. To be safe, can it be a rule of thumb to keep the beer in the primary for 2 weeks before racking to a secondary? Will I get off flavors from dead yeast cells and other bi-products in those 2 weeks? I'm in no hurry and a great beer is obviously my goal.

Thanks

Question about the secondary fermentation. To be safe, can it be a rule of thumb to keep the beer in the primary for 2 weeks before racking to a secondary? Will I get off flavors from dead yeast cells and other bi-products in those 2 weeks? I'm in no hurry and a great beer is obviously my goal.

You will absolutely not get problems from dead yeast cells, autolysis, or other biproducts in 2 weeks -- that is pretty much universally agreed upon.

There is some controversy over whether the autolysis thing is even real or not, though I would hazard that the majority still feel it is real. And among those who do think it's real, as to how big of a problem and when it becomes a problem varies immensely.

But, the absolutely lowest figure I've ever heard from anyone as to how long is too long in the primary (as in when it will do damage to your beer) is 3-4 weeks. So while it's still up to you to decide what your personal process or "rule of thumb" is, I can objectively tell you that you won't hurt your beer with a 2-week primary.

Most people here, once they read this thread, will pile on and say that you can leave beer on your yeast cake for MUCH longer. We're talking more than a month with no ill effects. I'd say that there are pros and cons to using a secondary (or not), but the more common practice on here is to NOT use a secondary (also known as a bright tank). That's a fairly recent shift though. My 'normal' schedule for an average 1050, nothing special, beer is ~ 14 (or so) days at ferm temp, raise the temp about 5 degrees for about a week to clean up any last minute stuff/bi-products/etc.

the more common practice on here is to NOT use a secondary (also known as a bright tank)

I think it's unclear whether that's the majority position, or if it's just the most vocal position. If somebody asks about it, the answer is always "Long primary FTW!" -- but if it comes up as a side note in a totally unrelated question, I always see a whole slew of people referring to how they use a secondary.

In any case, it's definitely pretty divided.

Keep in mind that as you get some batches under your belt you'll figure out what works for you. I uaully go three weeks in primary then straight to bottle. Bigger beers I tend to leave a little longer. A lot of it is personal preference, as you get more experienced you can cobble together the process that you are comfortable with. Keep asking questions and keep reading to educate yourself. I've done both and my beers have gone from drinkable to fantastic through changes in my processes based on what I've learned. As most people will agree, temp control and sanitation are the two most important factors in making beers you will be proud to share.

I think it's unclear whether that's the majority position, or if it's just the most vocal position. If somebody asks about it, the answer is always "Long primary FTW!" -- but if it comes up as a side note in a totally unrelated question, I always see a whole slew of people referring to how they use a secondary.

In any case, it's definitely pretty divided.

Totally true. I still use a secondary for certain instances (heavily dry hopped IPAs and fruit beers are just a couple examples). It's mostly based on laziness for me...

This is a fantastic site. Like I originally stated, I am making an Imperial Nut Brown from the Brewers Best Kit line. Here is a link to the instructions.

http://www.ldcarlson.com/public catalog/Brewers Best Recipes/1048.pdf
The instructions say to either primary ferment for 4-6 days and then bottle, or primary ferment 5-7 days and then secondary ferment for 2 weeks.

After looking into pros and cons of secondary fermentation I have yet another question. And let me again say these are very beginner questions and thanks for taking the time to answer.

If I decide to leave the brew in the primary for 3-4 weeks, move to the bottling bucket and add priming sugar, will there be enough yeast left-over in the brew to eat the sugar and carbonate the final product?

Additionally, if I brew in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks, rack to the secondary for an additional 2 weeks, will there be enough yeast left-over in the brew to eat the sugar and carbonate the final product?

Thanks,
Rob

If I decide to leave the brew in the primary for 3-4 weeks, move to the bottling bucket and add priming sugar, will there be enough yeast left-over in the brew to eat the sugar and carbonate the final product?

Additionally, if I brew in the primary fermenter for 2 weeks, rack to the secondary for an additional 2 weeks, will there be enough yeast left-over in the brew to eat the sugar and carbonate the final product?

Absolutely yes, to both questions.

Latest posts

Back