Belgum Strawberry blond came out sour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
OK this was a big brew day beer so i was not as carefull as i usually am. but i think the innitial brew went well. I got 1.065 gravity with a mixture of 2 row malt and a bag of wheat dme.

After a week or so i cut 6lbs of frozen strawberries and racked the beer onto them. beer smelled good but i had to pull the airlock twice to clean it out as the strawberries restarted the fermentation and krausen clogged the lock.

Also to be noted, this is the first beer i didn't climate control as i usually lagger ina chest freezer the ale would not have been happy in there. first few days were stable arouns 70-74 but one or two days it might have gotten a bit warm. There was a noticable/strong orange citrus taste in it prior to adding fruit.

Now that i racked into the keg the beer still has the nose of strawberry, but it has an annoying sour kick to it....

Im guessing the yeast ate all the sweet and just left the tart? I'm taking the brew to a tasting in a week to get some opinions, But what could have gone wrong?

I haven't done any fruit beers yet. Would the proper procedure be to back sweten it with a lactose or the likes?

Sounds like you may have rushed it. Let the beer condition for 3-4 more weeks, and the sour taste should mellow out.

Back