Don't go to Buffalo Wild Wings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skyforger

Reaction score
So there's this restaurant franchise. I'm not sure how widespread it is, but it has two locations by me. It caters to college students and others without taste or money; needless to say, I, as a recent college grad, have been compelled to go there by social circumstance several times.

I tried ordering food there. I did not receive food; I received the very elements of madness. Though I could see how that much salt and grease could be addictive, hence the popularity.

And so I tried ordering beer there. Choices were distressingly thin. But I tried getting a Stella Artois; at least better than a Bud Light, I figured.
They served me a Bud Light (or perhaps Coors; who can really tell the difference?) in a Stella glass, at Stella prices.

Perhaps a fluke, I thought. And so I went again, another time, another social necessity. I ordered a Blue Moon, and actually got it. Success?

I went again, and saw they had Samuel Adams Octoberfest. Jackpot! I ordered it.

They gave me a cup which contained:
1). 30% Samuel Adams Octoberfest;
2). 65% Tap Water;
3). And 5% Grenadine, for sweetness.

It was terrible. Fortunately, I have not been compelled to return since.

it's a national chain, and here in texas, the wings are good, as they should be. we all carry guns here in the wild west :D

I really like Buffalo Wild Wings. I've never had a problem there and really like the food. Sorry that your experiences there haven't been good. Sounds like a problem with that location and not the entire national chain. Just sayin'.

I like BWW too. Their beer selection isn't massive by any means, but I always thought the food was pretty solid for what it is. Maybe poor management at the location near you?

Yeah the beer selection here isn't great but they have decent Sam Adams or New Belgium specials every week here in NC... And no restaurants or bars have great wings here in central NC so their chain recipe wings stack up pretty well against the competition. Must just be a thing where you live.

it's a national chain, and here in texas, the wings are good, as they should be. we all carry guns here in the wild west :D

Amen to that! I always get spot on wings at BWW, we also pack in AZ, maybe that is the key? the beer selection here is pretty ok, nothing to write home about, but I go for the wings, I deal with the beer.

Yeah, F them. They took away the Weck. The Weck!!!!

lol...yeah they've never been the same since they dropped that third W (when I was a kid it was BW3). But I was about 15 when that happened, so what do I know...

their beer selection does suck tho.

Horrible place. Ordered wings and they came out ROOM TEMP. I said something to the waiter, and instead of fixing it, he said "that's how we serve it." Really?? You serve food at ROOM TEMP?

How long did those things have to sit outside the fryer to get back to room temp and dripping with cold grease?

The one here is not very good... little tiny anemic wings and so noisy you can't hear yourself think.. found a small place with a good beer selection and HUGE wings that are better AND cheaper.

I like BWW too. Their beer selection isn't massive by any means, but I always thought the food was pretty solid for what it is. Maybe poor management at the location near you?

its probably a regional thing.. BWW has huge selection of beers here in portland. My only complaint is that they dont serve freakin fries with their sandwiches.. otherwise, i thoroughly enjoy going there (in fact, it was the first stop for my bachelor party).

sorry yours sucks.

I worked at BWW over the summer as a cook. It sucked! I hated it. Everything is deep fried grilled or microwaved. The goal was to get the food out in 10 min. But it takes 8 Min to cook the wings so yeah. Don't eat the ribs they are microwaved then grilled with BBQ sauce. Every thing was frozen but used in a week or so. The place was some what organized and pretty clean. I would have to say that the sauces are good and the wings are good when they are fresh. All the fries are good too. The one I worked had a nice selection of beer. But the beer and food was pricey. So meh

GoldMiner! You rock. There was a Cluck-U-Chicken across from a base I took a course at in MD. That is one of my all time favorite chicken joints. There is a new place that opened in El Paso that is really good. Wing Daddy's has some great sauces. I take the SWMBO son there so we can "eat chicken wings, and check out hot chicks." I just wish he would not tell her that is what we were doing everytime we go. Gotta love a 5 year-old's honesty.

Food is bad, the beer is expensive, and why have 100 televisions if you're going to have them all on the same freakin channel???

BWW (BW3's) is fantastic, man. The one near my house has 30 beers on tap - they are not all craft beers but there a big enough selection that I can enjoy a brew with my chicken.

I can imaging that working there might suck tho.

I can't stand the boneless wings. I want the real stuff. I usually ONLY go there in the afternoon when the crowd is, well, not there... My best time is when I can chat with the bartenders about beer. They have a huge selection of the same beer. With maybe 3 "craft" beers, but the SA seasonal is usually pretty good, and I think they usually have a Bells. Even got 2H there once.

Went with friends once when it was busy upstate and I must say the experience was not enjoyable. Food, Meh... Beer, meh.. Very crowded and noisy?? Ughh...

I've only been truly impressed with one BWW, and that is the one I go to in Troy, OH while i'm on business trips up in Sidney. The first time i went in and looked at their tap lineup, i was blown away by the choices. I got to talking to the guy at the bar, and he is a huge beer lover and tries to get a wide variety with his taps. Of course he had the standard BMC, but he had 4 IPAs (two of them imperial), 2 porters (one imperial), and 2 stouts. One a standard, and the other an imperial coffee stout. He even poured me a few "trial pints" to let me taste the others that i didn't outright order, and didn't charge for any of them. The food is just kinda meh, but the blazin' sauce is awesome. Compared to that one, my local BWW is pretty awful. You only go there if you're looking to drink expensive bmc.

we really enjoy BWW. love the asian zing and the spicy garlic wings! i generally order a pacifico bottle so i know what i'm getting. i'll get flamed but it's one of the few places i can still smoke indoors, a plus for me at least.

So there's this restaurant franchise. I'm not sure how widespread it is, but it has two locations by me. It caters to college students and others without taste or money; needless to say, I, as a recent college grad, have been compelled to go there by social circumstance several times.

I tried ordering food there. I did not receive food; I received the very elements of madness. Though I could see how that much salt and grease could be addictive, hence the popularity.

And so I tried ordering beer there. Choices were distressingly thin. But I tried getting a Stella Artois; at least better than a Bud Light, I figured.
They served me a Bud Light (or perhaps Coors; who can really tell the difference?) in a Stella glass, at Stella prices.

Perhaps a fluke, I thought. And so I went again, another time, another social necessity. I ordered a Blue Moon, and actually got it. Success?

2). 65% Tap Water;

That is beyond strange. Like ordering a steak and the waitress bringing you chicken and saying "enjoy your steak".
How do you know your beer was 65% water and 5% grenadine? Did you watch them put it in? Why in the world would they do that?
And how did you know it was Bud Light? Did you see them do it? I doubt I could identify a Bud Light just by taste especially if I was expecting something else.

their putting on in close to my house, never been but we had wingdome in seattle and plenty of other places that were probably better. I can't believe how much these places want for just wings, I mean really.

I saw a bar that said they have .75c wings during happy hour. really??? that doesn't seem that happy to me, they were .25c each during happy hour in Seattle

you can tell because stella tastes like urine and bud light tastes like corn water

Not saying I couldn't say I did not get a stella but I am saying it would be hard for me to decide just exactly what was given to me instead just by taste, especially a bud light which tastes like so many other light beers.

Sorry you had a bad experience. With that said, that place is my favorite wing restaurant. I probably order food from there twice a month, but don't eat at the restaurant very often b/c service ALWAYS sucks. To the naked eye, their beer selection seems large, but as the closer you look, it's almost all mass produced (less Sam Adams) fizzy yellow beer. When I do eat there, I usually have a Shiner Bock with my wings b/c everything else blows. If you want good beer, go to a brew pub, but if you want good wings, order to-go from BW3.

I've only been truly impressed with one BWW, and that is the one I go to in Troy, OH while i'm on business trips up in Sidney. The first time i went in and looked at their tap lineup, i was blown away by the choices. I got to talking to the guy at the bar, and he is a huge beer lover and tries to get a wide variety with his taps. Of course he had the standard BMC, but he had 4 IPAs (two of them imperial), 2 porters (one imperial), and 2 stouts. One a standard, and the other an imperial coffee stout. He even poured me a few "trial pints" to let me taste the others that i didn't outright order, and didn't charge for any of them. The food is just kinda meh, but the blazin' sauce is awesome. Compared to that one, my local BWW is pretty awful. You only go there if you're looking to drink expensive bmc.

I LIVE in SIDNEY!!! never been to the bww in TROY though. Gotta give em a try.

I've had nothing but awful from BWW. The craft beers are, well, way to expensive and the food is always either wrong or cold.

How hard is it to screw up a chicken ranch wrap? And if I ask for potato wedges, don't give me chips and argue with me about it. GEEZ.

Gotta say, the ones i've been to down here rock. Great wings, and hot ass waitresses.

yeah, the ones by us are always cold. beers are always expensive.

meh, much better places to get wings around here.

So it sounds to me that it's totally an individual location that screws it up and not the corperation. Some branches obviously need better management.

Now i want to go to the one in town. Shoot. I hardly ever buy beer in a restaurant though. Unless its a bar or brewpub. Bdubs has great sauce and decent wings. It's not really a great place to go for a date though because its so loud and distracting.

They opened those up here in Buffalo and I scoffed, "Buffalo-themed restaurant in Buffalo, I'll give it 6 months!". Boy was I wrong. Ten years later and they're still packed everyday.

I don't get it. I too have been forced to go there for some social-related reasons, good god, one of the most obnoxious places I've ever been too. To each his own I guess.

2). 65% Tap Water;

Sounds to me like the management and/or bartenders are stealing from the company and customers.

The Grand Rapids locations are owned by the same guy and they all stink when it comes to the bar. Wings are great most of the time but there are better elsewhere in town.

Latest posts

Back