Feedback please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeanSch

Reaction score
Just started off a big batch on a low budget and I want to know what everyone thinks (5g batch)

50 oz of Blue berries (frozen)
32 oz of prune juice
32 oz of pomegranate juice
a partial bottle of Mona Vie (acai juice blend)
8 - 9 lbs of Brown sugar
1 pk of Red Star Cuvée yeast

Also going to start a second batch with

5 lbs of apples (pureed)
5 small melons
32 oz of prune juice
32 oz of pomegranate juice
7 - 8 lbs brown sugar
1 pk of Red Star Cuvée yeast

Edit: I had several gallons of over flow, so now there's a 3g batch of the first two mixed (and slightly watered down) using a Montrachet yeast.

These are now fermenting so rapidly it sounds like some one is smoking a water pipe in there.

Well, I never had fermented prune juice, or many of those other things so I don't know what to think. I think fermented out brown sugar tastes pretty awful, though, and that's a ton of it. I probably would rethink that first recipe.

As to the second recipe, I think the apple juice is a great start but with brown sugar and prune juice, it might taste very odd.

Having fermented prune juice (see this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/prune-juice-experiment-84699/) I can tell you there's a lot more acid in it than most people realize. Same goes for acai berries & to an extent, blueberries too. There is acid in everything but the yeast & sugar in your 1st recipe & I think it might just turn out to be rather tart. Prune juice is an odd thing, if you ferment it dry & back sweeten it, it tastes pretty much just like it did before fermentation.

Yooper is right about the brown sugar, that's a lot & it does have a funky flavour post fermentation. I found that out the hard way myself; it can go with apple, but not so good with berries; at least not with the blueberries & black currants I added it to. I'd change that brown sugar to white & go easy on the prune juice. Regards, GF.

Realize that there's only 32 oz of prune juice to 5 gallons. I've used a lot of blue berries and brown sugar in the past, tastes a little harsh at first usually. After it ages a time I've found it usually tastes pretty good, and the taste of pomegranates usually shines threw anything (I used one fresh pomegranate to a 3 gallon batch and that's all you could really taste). I just hope I didn't use too much sugar. (I don't have a scale, was trying to use a wii fit to weigh it. :p)

Btw brown sugar was on sale (I'm on a budget) 25 lb bag for $10

As for apples, this is my first time using them. (again they were on sale. 2lbs for 99 cents)

Thanks for the feedback!

Back