new propane burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got done using a kink kooker propane burner from midwest supplies. I think it said it had 118,000 btu. First time ever used one. First the burner itself caught on fire, where the flame shoots out. The grills on top were burning too, that hold the pot. Also, it charred the bottom of the pot pretty good. Is this all normal.

I'm guessing it's just the paint burning off the stand. Smells awful, but it's quite normal on the first burn. I don't understand why they bother to paint them...I guess otherwise they would rust in the warehouse!

The burner itself may have had some residual oil in it from the manufacturing process.

The pot charring is not normal. You need to adjust the grill's air intake until you get a clean blue flame. If it's orange, you're not completely burning the fuel, hence the carbon deposited on your pot.

Back