what hops to grow for a pilsner fan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farfromrice

Reaction score
I am switching to all grain in the springtime and I figured why not grow hops while I am at it. But, I think at the most I can grow is 4-5 . My plan for this year is try to get a pretty good pilsner recipe tweaked to my likings by the end of the year. So I need to know what types of hops you would recommend

I've read that Saaz can be a bit tempermental to grow. I'm growing Sterling which is supposed to be the most similar. I also have Liberty and Tetnanger plants.

I think I am going to go for Saaz Sterling Hallertauer for the pilsner and just for fun Fuggle and some Cascade thanks for the help can't wait to preorder

My Saaz actually did rather well, while I was certain my Sterlings weren't going to make it. Thankfully the Sterlings finally turned a corner toward the end of the season.

Here's what I've got and a guesstimate of how they did (I didn't weigh everything).

Crystal: 2.5 ounces, After a rough start due to some wind damage, this thing really took off. It might wind up taking over the yard. One Rhizome didn't make it.

Saaz: Maybe 1.5 ounces. A pretty steady grower. After clipping some damaged shoots before planting, I was worried one rhizome was a goner, but it did eventually sprout and grew well.

Hallertauer: Lucky if I got an ounce. Lost the growing tips in a spring storm. Thought they might die as they were pretty beat up, but wound up turning into a bush that covered the chicken wire I had around it. Grood growth, but obviously a light producer.

Sterling: Got a small handful at harvest. After a decent start, the Sterlings really struggled all season. I wonder if they're more suceptable to overwatering than the other varieties. We got a few weeks early in the season where all it did was rain, and I mean RAIN, and they seemed to have a hard time from then on. As I said, they perked up toward the end of the season so I'm hopeful for them this spring.

I do wish I had thrown in some Cascade or something, but I was on a huge pilsner kick at the time. Having heard about the problems with noble hops, I went with hybrid equivalents in case the nobles didn't make it, and to use for bittering as the hybrids should be better producers.

Back