1 Year Anniversary of opening my first Homebrew...how was your year 2?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevorino

Reaction score
Used the biggest pot in the house, a cambell soup extract kit (pale ale), and used some pails for fermentation.

1 Year Later, I have:

4 Glass Carboys
4 Tap Kegerator
12 Kegs
40+ Gallons of homebrew to be consumed
Complete All-Grain Brew Setup

What a year it's been :p

So my question, for others who started the hobby off like a rocket -- how was year 2?

i cant say much about year two, what i can say is that i am on week 2 of my first brew and think that when year 2 shows up i may be in a similar boat as you.

i cant say much about year two, what i can say is that i am on week 2 of my first brew and think that when year 2 shows up i may be in a similar boat as you.

Good luck! Hope you have either A) No SWMBO or B) a SWMBO who loves beer! :mug:

Wow! Now that you mentioned it, I just checked my records and it was exactly one year ago today for me too. Congrats to you. Your set up after one year is much more impressive than mine. But I am set up to go all grain and have tried my hand at it three times. The last two were lost to infections (made two batches of crappy vinegar. Actually just did my fourth AG last night.

How many find you justs keep buying equipment as time goes, no matter how much time passes? LOL

Wow! Now that you mentioned it, I just checked my records and it was exactly one year ago today for me too. Congrats to you. Your set up after one year is much more impressive than mine. But I am set up to go all grain and have tried my hand at it three times. The last two were lost to infections (made two batches of crappy vinegar. Actually just did my fourth AG last night.

How many find you justs keep buying equipment as time goes, no matter how much time passes? LOL

Have you figured out what was giving you infections?

Ahh I started in January or so of last year. And now I have:

6 kegs
Small Chest Freezer (with temp controller)
20# tank (no regulator yet... it will be my last piece)
AG equipment for 10G batches
BarleyCrusher Mill
2 bags of base malt
7 fermenters (3 buckets, 3 3Gal carboys, 1 5G carboy)

I never realized just how much I amassed in just about a year... obsession really is the right word.

In 2 months I have:
Chest Freezer + 2 tap tower
5lb C02 + Dual Regulator
2 commercial taps
1 Corny
3 5gal Carboys (2 glass + 1 better bottle)
2 Primaries
1 bottling bucket I'll never bottle with (it holds supplies etc)
20 gallons of beer through the system and 10 more in primaries / secondaries

I feel like I'm hooked?

Just hit my 1 Year nniversary. Got my basic kit from SWMBO last christmas. Didn't brew until Jan.
So as of now, I am AG with a Keggle boil pot/HLT, and Cooler Mashtun.
Also have a 3 Tap Keezer with Love Control. Still only have 1 Ale Pail, 1 5G Glass Carboy, and 1 6.5 Gallon Glass Carboy.
I tend to be an equipment Whore when it comes to Hobbies. Only cranked out 40 Gallons of Beer and 10 Gallons of Apfewein this year. But this year it's all about beer making. Stepping up to 10 Gallon Batches. No sense in only getting 5 gallons out of a brew day when 10 gallons comes from the same work. Ordering my ingredients for my first 10 gallon batch today. Marris Otter and Galena SMaSH.
What a year it's been.

I'm also at the one year point. I've brewed 22 5G batches. All ales. The last 14 batches were all grain. I'm still using my original deluxe kit but have added a cooler MLT,propane burner and fermentation fridge w/tstat and a Barley crusher. I still bottle and will continue to do so indefinitely. This next year will probably bring some 10 gallon batches and an extra fermenter.

Back