Sight Glass Placement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly

Reaction score
Hi

I am going to drill holes into my keggle HLT and add a sight glass. The sight glass is from Northern Brewery and has the option of placing a thermometer through the keg wall as well. I am only interested in measuring water for mashing and batch sparging operations. The install look easy.

I do though have a question on placement before I begin drilling.

I assume I should drill and install the glass below the level of the deadspace area at the bottom of the keg. That will allow me to determine where my zero gallons of water level is located. Right?

not necessarily. you can also have it above if you want....since you will have to calibrate your sight glass anyway by filling it with known amounts of water and marking the corresponding levels on the sight glass.

you can put it anywhere under the minimum amount of water you think you will ever need to measure and start your scale from there...say 1 gallon.

Back