Space for a burner on patio?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

So I just built my MLT and I'm eager to get an all-grain batch started. I don't have a yard though - I'm in an apartment. But I do have a small outdoor patio, off the second floor. It's about 4ftx3.5 ft. Is it safe to use an outdoor burner in this space? (railing is metal, sort of like a fire escape that doesn't go anywhere).

is it a concrete patio or wooden one? Would you get evicted? Are you allowed to grill out there? I'd say if they landlord permits patio grilling, you would be fine

Most apartments have a 10' rule: No barbecues or open flame within 10 feet of the building.

Now as to how stringent they are on this rule, that varies from place to place.
One place I lived they enforced this like Nazis.
But the last place I was at I did partial boils on a turkey fryer in my attached garage with the door wide open.

Depends on your local codes, This is directly from the NFPA:

NFPA 1:10.11.7 For other than one- and two-family dwellings, no hibachi, gas-fired grill, charcoal grill, or other similar devices used for cooking, heating, or any other purpose, shall be used or kindled on any balcony or under any overhanging portion or within 10 ft (3 m) of any structure. Listed electric ranges, grills, or similar electrical apparatus shall be permitted.

I just moved into an apartment and while the deck is like 15 feet long, it's only like 6 feet wide. No grills or burners. Now I have to brew on the sidewalk.

Depends on your local codes, This is directly from the NFPA:

NFPA 1:10.11.7 For other than one- and two-family dwellings, no hibachi, gas-fired grill, charcoal grill, or other similar devices used for cooking, heating, or any other purpose, shall be used or kindled on any balcony or under any overhanging portion or within 10 ft (3 m) of any structure. Listed electric ranges, grills, or similar electrical apparatus shall be permitted.

GREAT; now all you need is the landlord to pipe in a 240 volt 50 amp circuit and plug just for you. Your chances are? You better off looking for a snowflake coming out of a super heated steam pipe line. Be Careful you don't get a 30 day eviction notice, just takes one jerk in the complex playing Mr. Cop on everyone. Surely you must have friends and another location to set up and brew. With multi unit high density dwelling full of people the fire code enforcement people can jump on you in a hot second. You a upper unit, just think what a boilover would do to the people down below. Be careful and just brew at a friends driveway yes a PITA. Hell I did my first propane AG brew at my dads house on his red car finished smooth slick driveway with a big boilover event. No points scored plus he was always a hard ass having eveything spotless.

+10000 on going with the fire code. Its not worth the problems should something happen. Think of all the beer you could lose in the event of a fire. :)

Seriously I used to design fire suppression systems and the code is there for a reason. Its not worth breaking it to have a little beer.

Yeah... the other thing is that my porch overlooks the main road, and apparently the fire department is strict about enforcing the codes. I don't want any trouble.

Good luck! It took me almost an hour to get 3 gallons to boil on my stove. Then I got a turkey fryer. I may resort to brewing on my stove during the winter though, it gets damn cold up here.

Funny you should mention the NFPA.. The NFPA is a private association that
makes various fire protection reommnndations. They are not a code authority and their recommendations are only enforcable if enacted by local statute or ordinance whis is not a common as the NFPA would like you to think.

That's why I wrote" Depends on your local fire code".

I quoted from NFPA 1, and is currently used as code by 20 states:
Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, Louisiana, Florida, Alabama, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska, Montana, Wisconsin, and Michigan.

In this case law or not law it makes damn good sense to not boil 5 gallons of liquid above someone else's patio. It is not worth the hassle if something bad happens. I, for one, would not want to be responsible for a fire or burning someone badly in a situation like this. There is one of those times when just because it may not be illegal does not mean you should do it.

as long as you don't think you'll burn the place down, go for it. you may wish to invest in a fire extinguisher :D

I agree with ol' DB here.

I'm sure the wall on your patio is high enough where nobody could see what you were doing.

Just be careful. Have a fire extinguisher on hand. Avoid boil overs at all costs.....last thing you want is wort running down the drain to your downstairs neighbor's patio.:D

Perhaps even plug the drain all together, and have a mop and some towels ready.

I agree with ol' DB here.

I'm sure the wall on your patio is high enough where nobody could see what you were doing.

Just be careful. Have a fire extinguisher on hand. Avoid boil overs at all costs.....last thing you want is wort running down the drain to your downstairs neighbor's patio.:D

Perhaps even plug the drain all together, and have a mop and some towels ready.

It sounds to me like it a mesh steel floor like a fire escape, where this would not work. you could always fab an enclosure to set you burner with kettle down in. This would actaully benefit in shield the flame, catching and containing any boil-overs, and hide the fire from public view. It would just look like a pot (or nothing depending how high you build the sides). Could just look like a planter box from the outside! Make a hole from the outside to run your spigot through to drain your wort.

Back