Magnetic Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wow... I so do not want to be the one to do this, because I really try NOT to do this... but have you even tried the search feature on here???

Click up there on the "Search" link, type in "stir plate" and you will find the first two links it returns to be very informative...

And I might add, using an old computer that I had sitting around for parts, and some scrap wood to build a box to hold it in,
I only paid for a computer fan speed control unit, about $5, and I was good to go. They are pretty easy to build. Just follow
the links.

it should cost you about 20 bucks in parts from radioshack if you can get an old hard drive, computer fan, and an old cell phone charger. I used:
28 ohm 3 watt potentiometer ~3 dollars
Brushed Aluminum Knobs for potentiometer ~ 2 dollars for two (this is just a little bling)
LED 12V On/Off button ~ 3 dollars
Black Project Enclosure ~ 6 dollars.

The project enclosure was the most expensive part. Just make sure you have plenty of space to mount your fan inside the project enclosure...

I can help you with the wiring if needed...

wow... I so do not want to be the one to do this, because I really try NOT to do this... but have you even tried the search feature on here???

Click up there on the "Search" link, type in "stir plate" and you will find the first two links it returns to be very informative...

Wow...but you did. I searched the two first pages and found nothing. But now I do see the tiny search box hidden up in the beer head. Thanks for the tip.

Edited to remove derogatory comments :fro:

it should cost you about 20 bucks in parts from radioshack if you can get an old hard drive, computer fan, and an old cell phone charger. I used:
28 ohm 3 watt potentiometer ~3 dollars
Brushed Aluminum Knobs for potentiometer ~ 2 dollars for two (this is just a little bling)
LED 12V On/Off button ~ 3 dollars
Black Project Enclosure ~ 6 dollars.

The project enclosure was the most expensive part. Just make sure you have plenty of space to mount your fan inside the project enclosure...

I can help you with the wiring if needed...

Sweet...I have an unused PC and a few old cell chargers. I'll hit up radio shack tomorrow and get back at ya. Thanks!!!

Hmmm... calling people names, when they take the time to try to educate you on something, even if you don't like the way I did it. Got to wonder which one of us is really the deusche. But, while we are on the subject of educating, I might add that the "Search" link in the navigation bar works better, in my opinion, than the "tiny search box hidden up in the beer head", and the link is neither tiny or hidden, so it should be much easier for you to find.

Hmmm... calling people names, when they take the time to try to educate you on something, even if you don't like the way I did it. Got to wonder which one of us is really the deusche. But, while we are on the subject of educating, I might add that the "Search" link in the navigation bar works better, in my opinion, than the "tiny search box hidden up in the beer head", and the link is neither tiny or hidden, so it should be much easier for you to find.

Well, I went to remove my comment after I saw you added additional info to help. But you gotta admit, the way you originally responded was unnecessary. I mean, why even answer? That lonely?

EDIT: I find it interesting that you feel the need to continue to throw insults...

Lonely? No... actually have a wife sitting in the next room that I am talking with as we engage in our witty little banter. Why answer?
You ever hear the old adage about teaching a man to fish?
Yes, I could just do the searching for you, and post a few links to threads on this site,
and you would get the information that you were looking for. I could also sit down and just write out how to build one. Then you would get the information you were looking for. Neither one of those shows you the way to find the information yourself.

There is also a phenomenon that you will notice around here of new users coming in and asking questions that have been answered before, usually by some very intelligent people who put a lot of time and thought into their answers. Instead of taking the time to search for the information they seek, the new user simply posts a question and waits for the information to come to them.

We all were new at one point, and I am not knocking on "new users" as a group. It was not that long ago that I came to the board myself. I apologize if my response was offensive.

I'm not offended... I think I've had people give me the "try the search tool" repsonse 10-15 times on my threads... Some things (especially equipment and recipes) get heavily discussed and are worth searching...

Also, i think there are directions for the stir plates in the "DIY" section here on the equipment page.

EDIT: I find it interesting that you feel the need to continue to throw insults...

Lonely? No... actually have a wife sitting in the next room that I am talking with as we engage in our witty little banter. Why answer?
You ever hear the old adage about teaching a man to fish?
Yes, I could just do the searching for you, and post a few links to threads on this site,
and you would get the information that you were looking for. I could also sit down and just write out how to build one. Then you would get the information you were looking for. Neither one of those shows you the way to find the information yourself.

There is also a phenomenon that you will notice around here of new users coming in and asking questions that have been answered before, usually by some very intelligent people who put a lot of time and thought into their answers. Instead of taking the time to search for the information they seek, the new user simply posts a question and waits for the information to come to them.

We all were new at one point, and I am not knocking on "new users" as a group. It was not that long ago that I came to the board myself. I apologize if my response was offensive.

I, too, apologize. I've been on the board for exactly 3 weeks today and I certainly don't have the in's and out's down. I have made efforts to read stickies and entire threads before posting my own.

A better response may have been...several great threads have been posted on this before. Try out the search feature...yada yada

Just because I'm new to this site doesn't make me any less dedicated to this craft. Just because I'm new doesn't make me lazy. Just because I'm new does not mean that I intend on taking advantage of this site.

Say hello to your wife for me, and goodnight. :D

My wife thinks I am a 'tard for how much time I spend on here...
and I will agree, I could have worded my original response differently.
As to my comments about new people, they were not directed at you in particular,
and if I gave that impression, again, I apologize.

Back