drilling out the cooler

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tommymac

Reaction score
I am going to be drilling out an opening for my 10 gal mash tun/cooler I plan on drilling a 7/8th inch diameter opening. Now instead of making a valve I am just going to use a predrilled stopper ( I also need to figure out what size it is) I have one at home already but will need a second one.

So my question is what do i need to do to seal the inside part of the cooler to prevent liquid from getting into the insulated part of the cooler?

Tom

I am going to be drilling out an opening for my 10 gal mash tun/cooler I plan on drilling a 7/8th inch diameter opening. Now instead of making a valve I am just going to use a predrilled stopper ( I also need to figure out what size it is) I have one at home already but will need a second one.

So my question is what do i need to do to seal the inside part of the cooler to prevent liquid from getting into the insulated part of the cooler?

Tom

If I'm visualizing this right...you're just going to use a stopper to plug the hole?

If that's the case, placing the stopper in from the inside is what you want to do.

That way the stopper is sealing the inner wall and you don't have to worry about sealing the outer wall.

I'm not sure why you're drilling the hole bigger though. There should be a pre-drilled stopper that fits the valve opening.

You visualized it correctly. The cooler I bought is one of the 20 dollar specials from target and doesnt have a drain opening in it. the 5 gallon gatorade cooler Ihave has an opening of 7/8ths so i figured i would keep them consistent in case I need to swap parts for whatever reason.

tom

You visualized it correctly. The cooler I bought is one of the 20 dollar specials from target and doesnt have a drain opening in it. the 5 gallon gatorade cooler Ihave has an opening of 7/8ths so i figured i would keep them consistent in case I need to swap parts for whatever reason.

tom

Okay then.

Simply stopping the hole from the inside should do the trick.

Check out this page for some pic's that illustrate what I'm talking about.

that looks good, thanx for the link. I am currently using a false bottom but may eventualyl switch to the braided line.

Tom

Back