Oskar Blues Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best thread I've found today. Subscribed and will take a shot at the Old Chub clone very soon.

I've had this on tap for a week now. Side by side is indistinguishable from Dale's. Impressive clone.

I've had this on tap for a week now. Side by side is indistinguishable from Dale's. Impressive clone.

subbed.

Dale's Pale is hands-down my fav go-to Pale Ale.

Brewed a clone per a different recipe a while ago - very nice brew so nothing lost, but as far as a real clone goes - close but no cigar.

Will try this recipe soon... thanks for sharing the recipe!

Dale's Pale was the beer that turned me onto craft and, eventually, homebrewing. Can't wait to try it .

Anybody continue to perfect this recipe for 10g or 5g all grain? What people are saying, in the least, would be to add a bit of oats. Looking to brew this next week so any additional information would be great. Trying to get as close to pinner as possible. Not looking for a hop bomb.

^I meant to add, I am talking about Pinner (there were a few posts on this already but wanted to add it to this also in case others are watching this post also).

Ten Fidy

Mash temp 148F
9# Rahr 2-row
3.6# Weyerman Munich Light
2.6# Flaked Oats
1.75# Simpsons Cara Malt 30L
1.75# Simpsons Chocolate
1.75# Crisp 77L
1.75# Simpson Roasted Barley

1.35 oz Northern Brewer 90min
1.80 oz Liberty 25min
0.50 oz Columbus 10min

Yeast 1056 American Ale

Has anyone brewed this Ten Fidy recipe?

I would wager that it's just white rascal with passion fruit added. it has the same abv. you can just email Avery. they give out their recipes to homebrewers

They used to have all the recipes readily available on their website, but they just recently rebuilt the entire site and I can't find them anymore. They may still be there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find them yet. But if you email them, as stated above, I'm sure they'll happily give you the info you want. Avery is very generous about that kind of stuff. They even give yeast to homebrewers if you want it badly enough.

They used to have all the recipes readily available on their website, but they just recently rebuilt the entire site and I can't find them anymore. They may still be there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find them yet. But if you email them, as stated above, I'm sure they'll happily give you the info you want. Avery is very generous about that kind of stuff. They even give yeast to homebrewers if you want it badly enough.

You can check the archives for the webpage.

https://web.archive.org/web/20000101000000*/http://www.oskarblues.com/

Woot woot!

Austin, TX - 2016

We’re stoked to announce the addition of a brewery and taproom music venue in Austin, TX kickin' its doors open April 20th, 2016

Has anyone brewed this Ten Fidy recipe?

I have a starter beer going now for another attempt in 2 weeks. Haven't used this recipe tho. Since the other attempts haven't 100% fermented out, still have no basis for comparison. Grains and hops are different then the ones I've been using. Another thing I've noticed in my research is other Imperial Stout recipes don't use near the quantity of dark malts then the 10-fidy clones.

Love to hear feedback on this recipe.

After a big discussion with LHBS brew guy about my RIS attempts, it's become clear to me the use of this many dark malts are the cause of a) fermentation issues and b) super bitter/odd flavors. Next attempt will have about 1/2 darks, replaced with base. Soaking 2oz medium oak in 2oz makers mark. Will only add oak chips in secondary. I sware there's oak/bourbon in 10-fidy. If only an essence.

After a big discussion with LHBS brew guy about my RIS attempts, it's become clear to me the use of this many dark malts are the cause of a) fermentation issues and b) super bitter/odd flavors. Next attempt will have about 1/2 darks, replaced with base. Soaking 2oz medium oak in 2oz makers mark. Will only add oak chips in secondary. I sware there's oak/bourbon in 10-fidy. If only an essence.

I would disagree with this statement. Sure, typical dark beers tend to use about 10% dark/roasted malt. The dark malt in this receipt works out to about 16% - which is not absurd for such a high gravity beer. I have used 13% dark malt in a beer with no ill effects. I would assume many commercial RIS recipes use at least 15%. If fact, at least two breweries in the following article use at least 15% (and in upwards of 20%):

https://byo.com/stout/item/1337-russian-imperial-stout-tips-from-the-pros

At the end of the day - the amount of roast/chocolate character is a matter of personal preference, but I think it is inaccurate to state that the beer will suffer ill effects from using that much dark grain.

I'm curious as to what the justification was for having poor fermentation. Compounds from the dark grain? The only other effect would be pH, but if you properly control pH in the mash, boil, and post-boil - the yeast should do just fine (assuming a large pitch is used).

I would disagree with this statement. Sure, typical dark beers tend to use about 10% dark/roasted malt. The dark malt in this receipt works out to about 16% - which is not absurd for such a high gravity beer. I have used 13% dark malt in a beer with no ill effects. I would assume many commercial RIS recipes use at least 15%. If fact, at least two breweries in the following article use at least 15% (and in upwards of 20%):

https://byo.com/stout/item/1337-russian-imperial-stout-tips-from-the-pros

At the end of the day - the amount of roast/chocolate character is a matter of personal preference, but I think it is inaccurate to state that the beer will suffer ill effects from using that much dark grain.

I'm curious as to what the justification was for having poor fermentation. Compounds from the dark grain? The only other effect would be pH, but if you properly control pH in the mash, boil, and post-boil - the yeast should do just fine (assuming a large pitch is used).

My next attempt will be about 1/2 dark grains, using the yeast cake from a 6% stout (safeable5), and increasing oxygen at the 12hr mark. I don't have a ph meter, but use Ezwatercalculator to keep pH around 5.4 with Cl/Sulphate levels at 1.3 (about 120/90). Too many different things in this next attempt to say what it is if the brew comes out fantastic. But from the beginning this recipe has given me fits although other stout recipes have been just fine....Milk stout clone..etc. Stouts were the highlight of my brewing career (20 months) until I went to trying this clone.

My next attempt will be about 1/2 dark grains, using the yeast cake from a 6% stout (safeable5), and increasing oxygen at the 12hr mark. I don't have a ph meter, but use Ezwatercalculator to keep pH around 5.4 with Cl/Sulphate levels at 1.3 (about 120/90). Too many different things in this next attempt to say what it is if the brew comes out fantastic. But from the beginning this recipe has given me fits although other stout recipes have been just fine....Milk stout clone..etc. Stouts were the highlight of my brewing career (20 months) until I went to trying this clone.

I have yet to attempt this clone...so keep us informed as to how the next batch turns out. I plan to brew it some time in the summer so it is ready for next winter.

Brewed up the Dales per OP recipe, but decreased Northern Brewer bittering charge to just 0.5 oz. Keeping everything else the same this brought my IBUs down to around 63-64 (Dales is 65) per Beersmith. If I backed off too much, well I'll just have to brew this again :). OG was 1.063-ish (a tad high I believe), hydro sample had soft bitterness from what I could perceive, to go along with the expected sweetness from conversion. Color looked good.

Old post, but I'd you still have the beersmith recipe is like to see what you came up with. I've been using brewtoad.com and just got beersmith, but see 2 very different results as far as IBUs go. Thanks.

Anyone know how the 65 IBUs determined for the Dale Pale Ale? is this measured or calculated? If calculated do you include IBU contributions from the whirlpool? Seems brewtoad doesn't include any IBUs from the whirlpool and seems to match the 65,but beersmith ads IBUs for the whirlpool and comes out way high for the same recipe.

Hello everyone. Please forgive my ignorance for this question. I would like to brew the Old Chub recipe below but admittedly do no understand the hops. I know what they are and when to toss them in the boil but not the weight. Could someone clue an old man in to help me decipher this please.

5 gallon.

Old Chub Scottish Ale
Mash temp 156 F
12# Rahr 2-row
1.6 # Crisp 77L
1# Weyerman Munich Light
.5# Special B
.4# Weyerman Smoked
.3# Simpsons Chocolate

9.4 IBU Northern Brewer 90min
2.5 IBU East Kent Golding 10min

Yeast 1056 American Ale

Soaking 2oz medium oak in 2oz makers mark. Will only add oak chips in secondary. I sware there's oak/bourbon in 10-fidy. If only an essence.

if you do this:
1) Use oak cubes
2) do an initial soak in makers, dump the makers and then soak the cubes in more, after this you can dump the cubes and makers in the secondary. the first soak will extract tannins from the wood, found this out the hard way :(

Hello everyone. Please forgive my ignorance for this question. I would like to brew the Old Chub recipe below but admittedly do no understand the hops. I know what they are and when to toss them in the boil but not the weight. Could someone clue an old man in to help me decipher this please.

5 gallon.

Old Chub Scottish Ale
Mash temp 156 F
12# Rahr 2-row
1.6 # Crisp 77L
1# Weyerman Munich Light
.5# Special B
.4# Weyerman Smoked
.3# Simpsons Chocolate

Yeast 1056 American Ale

Hey Iceman:

This is quoted in terms of how much bitterness in IBUs will be provided by the hops addition. If you are using brewing software (like BeerSmith) , you can very likely just list 1oz of each hop varietal in each time slot, and then use a function to adjust for IBUs. Anyway, that's what I would do.

In the absence of brewing software, you'll need to do the math yourself, which will need to factor in (1) the AlphaAcid% of the varietal (2) the time it will be in the boil and (3) the volume of the boil. Forgive me if I do not walk you through that math as I would not have a clue (and I'm certain you can find a good resource for that elsewhere).

Anyway, I hope that helps.

Does anyone know what the correct weight on the hops would be ?

5 gallon.

Old Chub Scottish Ale
Mash temp 156 F
12# Rahr 2-row
1.6 # Crisp 77L
1# Weyerman Munich Light
.5# Special B
.4# Weyerman Smoked
.3# Simpsons Chocolate

Yeast 1056 American Ale

Does anyone know what the correct weight on the hops would be ?

5 gallon.

Old Chub Scottish Ale
Mash temp 156 F
12# Rahr 2-row
1.6 # Crisp 77L
1# Weyerman Munich Light
.5# Special B
.4# Weyerman Smoked
.3# Simpsons Chocolate

Yeast 1056 American Ale

I believe this question was just answered above, but if you can tell me the AA% on the hops I can give you a ballpark as to what amounts to add

According to a chart I looked at the Northern Brewer would be 6-10% and the Goldings would be 4-6%. Does this help?

So that works out to .18 ounces on the NB and .25 ounces on the Golding. if of course I have converted correctly from grams to ounces. If correct that sounds really low to me for a 5 gallon batch. Any thoughts anyone?

So that works out to .18 ounces on the NB and .25 ounces on the Golding. if of course I have converted correctly from grams to ounces. If correct that sounds really low to me for a 5 gallon batch. Any thoughts anyone?

Personally, I'd bump up the bittering. A total of 12 ibu's seems pretty low in a high gravity beer like that. Old Chub is already a sweet beer, so I would double the bittering myself, and shoot for ~25 ibu's. Looking at the 2015 bjcp guidelines, the ibu range for wee heavy's is 17-35.

Back