Big mistake?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan_boc

Reaction score
I just placed an order for my next beer which included liquid yeast. morebeer offers to ship ice packs with the liquid yeast to help preserve it, but I neglected to add it to the cart when I placed my order. Will the yeast be DOA?

Morebeer is pretty cool if you call them and ask them to include an ice pack with it. It usually isn't shipped the same day. It is cooling off around here though and you may be fine if they already shipped it. You should have some dry as a backup anyway.

Your yeast will most likely be fine, but I would reccomend making a starter with some extract and water a few hours before brewing. Despite what the label says, those tubes are never really "pitchable" to begin with, some beers require more fully acitve yeast than is in the tube. I always make a starter when lagering, when I do ales, I can usually get away with just dumping them in, or dumping in dried yeast that has been rehydrated for about 30 minutes.

A starter is also a great way to make your yeast go farther. Every time I've used a liquid yeast I've saved the last little bit and used it to build my library.

agreed. I've never had great success with just pitching the tubes. Definitely make a starter and you'll be good to go!

Back