My varietal traditional experiments.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluespark

Reaction score
I started two batches yesterday and will start one more in the next day or so. While I was visiting friends in the big city I was able to get my hands on some interesting varieties. I posted about them, but it seems no one else has used these(or at least no one that has replied. )I thought I would start a thread, seeing as these are my first ever traditionals. They are all one gallon batches.

1. Tasmanian leatherwood.

This honey smells and tastes amazing.
2.2lb Tasmanian leatherwood.
1.5lb local clover(ran out of the first one)
Nutrient
Cup of black tea
Filtered water to just over a gallon
Lalvin 1122

2. Spanish needle

As above, only 2lb Spanish needle honey, 1.7 lb local clover

Both OG 1.110 I'm going for semi sweet, so I may need to back sweeten a smidgen.

3. Caramelized rewarawara

Will be same as above, just using 3.5 lb of the above varietal honey, no local stuff.

Has anyone made a traditional mead using a specific honey blended with a more neutral one? I hope i don't lose the flavor, but I didn't quite have enough to do an entire gallon of each, and I was out of luggage space. All of them are very flavourful honeys.

And tips or advice appreciated. I'm really hoping for nice traditional meads that keep the individual characteristics of the honey.

I aerated the two I started yesterday and I will say, these smell extraordinary. And so different. If anybody gets a chance to try these, they are very unique.

Right to left, tazmanian leatherwood, Spanish needle and carmelized rewarawara (started 30 minutes ago)

image-2225021490.jpg

Back