My new hop trellis

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjj2ba

Look under the recliner
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I planted some hops last year and some 6' bamboo stakes were enough. I knew I'd need somthing more substanial for this year and here it is. The grey pipe is schedule 80 PVC so it is quite rigid. I put 4 steel fence posts in the ground and "slid" the pipe over them. I had to get the angle grinder out to shave down the posts a little bit. The bottom pieces are about 6 ft tall. The white PVC (sch 40) cross pieces are glued to the tees, but not the vertical pieces, so the trellis can be dissasembled to harvest. The upper section was assembled off to the side and then lifted on top of the lower section. I'm amazed that my wife and I lifted to top section in place ourselves. When we take to upper section down to harvest, I'm going to install temporary cross pieces at the bottom of the upper section

hoptrellis.jpg

Not bad. We are still a few weeks from frost-free, but my Fuggles hit 6 ft. this weekend. A small toad could crush the Sunbeam!

Back