Bottling American Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eojnnamleppak

Reaction score
Hey guys! I am on day 5 of the fermentation process of my first batch of home brew. I am making a batch of American Amber. When fermentation is done, what is the best way to bottle these? I was planning on putting them in Growlers I have from local breweries (washed out and sanitized of course). Thanks!

Just use a hydrometer to make sure you have a stable FG over 3 days first. In 5 days,it should be done with initial fermentation,& will slow down till it reaches FG. Then give it 3-7 days after that to clean up by products & settle out more. The beer can be clear or just slightly hazy on bottling day,& still have plenty to carb with.
Use a bulk priming calculator like the one at tastybrew.com to figure how much priming sugar by weight (you'll need a small scale,$20 at walmart). Mix that with 1 or 2 cups of boiled/cooled water. Then add to bottling bucket while racking the beer into it. Just pour it slowly into the surface of the beer.
I've read that growlers aren't designed to hold pressures of carbonating beer. They're just for transporting beer home from a tap. That was the original intent before glass bottles came along. & they looked more like covered metal pots at the turn of the last century.

Back