Upstart Brewery Tracks Down Keg Thieves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apoxbrew

Reaction score
Cool Story... this wasn't about customers paying for a keg and keeping, but an actual theft from their property of 40 to 50 empty kegs before the brewery was even open for business!

Story

The thieves took 35-40 kegs to a scrap yard...the guy at the scrap yard didn't find this odd? Wouldn't you think twice about two guys bringing in that many kegs?

More than likely it was going to be a good payday for the scrapyard so he wasn't going to turn away the business. I'd say business as usual for scrap sellers/buyers. Just like the auto theft/chop shop deals.

Thats cool he was able to track them down. Im wondering how they hauled 40 kegs thru 3 different properties without being seen by a person or camera.

When did "upstart" and "start up" become synonymous? I was looking for a story about an arrogant brewery that had suddenly risen to power...

A lot of places around here won't take kegs. Turns out stainless is so expensive right now, that a keg is often worth more in stainless than the deposit you paid for it.

What a terrible payday for the thieves. Stealing and then transporting 40 kegs is a big undertaking for only $450.

Not to mention,he's not getting any answers from the cops. That's strange,since that's def a felony offense stealing that much value in replacement cost/actual cost. I wonder why they haven't been busted yet,since they have the thieves info?

When did "upstart" and "start up" become synonymous? I was looking for a story about an arrogant brewery that had suddenly risen to power...

I also noticed the authors need to repeatedly use the word upstart. Using the word upstart a lot must encourage readers to to actively engage the article. :drunk:

Is $450 enough for a felony offense in Oregon? Just wondering.
It's too bad you didn't have solid proof, like a video. Right now you can only prove possession of stolen property .... =/

good luck man.

Is $450 enough for a felony offense in Oregon? Just wondering.
It's too bad you didn't have solid proof, like a video. Right now you can only prove possession of stolen property .... =/

good luck man.

You steal a $400,000 Bentley, you're on the hook for what it's worth is as a vehicle, not its weight in scrap metal. I'd agree with the above poster, that many kegs at $120 a piece is thousands in stolen goods. I don't know Alabama law, but I'd assume that makes it grand larceny. Definitely a felony.

That makes sense. What a crappy situation. He might not be getting those kegs back for a while then.

JJL said:
I also noticed the authors need to repeatedly use the word upstart. Using the word upstart a lot must encourage readers to to actively engage the article. :drunk:

Someone has a word-of-the-day calendar. ;)

Back