Tampa Big Brew Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jersh

Reaction score
Is anyone one here going to be at the Big Brew event next weekend at Southern Brewing? I've signed up to brew again this year, I'm really looking forward to it!

Going to be out of town, but I'm sure it will be fun. No idea how I would transport all my stuff, but I guess it could be done.

Another one that sounded interesting to me, was the deal at the Independent in Tampa. People brewing on premises, and $1 beers all day. Tough to beat that. I wanted to just go, hang out, and drink beer.

http://www.independenttampa.com/events-tampa-indpendent-bar/

Basically just seems like a get together for people to hang out and brew. It says its not a tasting event but I wonder if people will have anything there to taste. I was able to sample a few styles from Special Hoperations not to long ago and it was pretty good. Itd be cool to check it out but I dont think I can make the trip.

"It's National Homebrew Day and Tampa's Special Hoperations will be on board along with 12-15 other brewers brewing beer. Come aboard, see how it's done, ask questions, and participate in a 1pm world-wide toast! Please note this is not a beer tasting event. It is an event to learn more about home brewing. There is no additional fee for the event, just an admission ticket to the museum."

Damn! Sorry about that. I totally misread it. too good to be true.

Damn! Sorry about that. I totally misread it. too good to be true.

Np, definitely too good to be true. I just emailed Southern Brewing, waiting to hear details. I could easily throw my burner and kettle into my trunk and knock out a BIAB, No Chill IPA.

Np, definitely too good to be true. I just emailed Southern Brewing, waiting to hear details. I could easily throw my burner and kettle into my trunk and knock out a BIAB, No Chill IPA.

Check facebook for details too. I have never done a no chill, or BIAB for that matter, but that brings up a good question. How are all these people going to chill their wort? I guess you just pack your water too. BIAB seems like the way to go at something like this. Much more compact than my regular all grain junk.

P.S. - That's kind of a haul from Ft. Liquordale.

Check facebook for details too. I have never done a no chill, or BIAB for that matter, but that brings up a good question. How are all these people going to chill their wort? I guess you just pack your water too. BIAB seems like the way to go at something like this. Much more compact than my regular all grain junk.

Yea, I never chill, and have never had an issue. I just commented on Southern Brewing's Facebook, we'll see. Anyone else going?

The group brew day sounds pretty sweet. Too bad my niece & nephew's birthday party is on Saturday, would love to be there. Maybe I'll swing by Friday for some grains and brew at home Sunday as a make up day.

I'm torn on what to do Saturday. I really want to get out to the Special Hoperations event, but I don't have the equipment to bring out. So right now, I'm leaning towards heading over to the Independent. They have a great collection of sour beers and that's one of my weaknesses.

I might be stopping by to pick up some ingredients that day. Not sure how long I can stay as the mothers in my family want to have their day a day early to miss out on all the others that will be doing it on Sunday.

Wow, sounds like there's a bunch of different brew events in Tampa on Saturday! I wish I could make it to all of them!

I know there will definitely be homebrew samples at the Southern Brewing event... They have a bunch of beers on tap in their little serving room. I plan on bringing my portable kegerator as well with an IPA.

As far as the logistics of getting equipment there, thankfully I can fit everything I need in my small SUV (or at least I did last year). Yes, you definitely need to bring your own water, they will have hoses around for immersion chillers but obviously you won't be able to get toooo chilled in this heat. I'm brewing an Octoberfest lager, so I'll chill it as low as I can there and then bring it home and finish the chill in my fermentation fridge. Not ideal but it works.

Latest posts

Back