Did my hops grow this far?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchuklobrau

Reaction score
My wife being from Germany was feeling home sick so i built her a beautiful 45x25 beergarden. I had planted my hops along the front edge of this. 4 years later we want to put fence around our property come to find out 20 of the 25 foot depth of the beergarden is not on our property, so yeah me i get to redo everything i did 4 years ago. as i am moving 11ton of peagravel and lifting the plastic i had put down i am finding what appears to be hops roots and rizhomes. Do they really root out that far? After moving the main plants and some of the rizhomes if these roots(not on my property lol) are left alone will i start getting hops bines all around the neighboring woods?

lemme see what i can do i have never tried to post a picture and am very computer unsavy

Stupid kodak easy share I have no clue how to post em I can email u pics if ud like.

Cool beergarden. The rock fountain is a nice touch. You are going to move that whole thing?! From what I understand about hops, it sounds like you stand a good chance of having a forest full of hops, even if you did cut the bines down to the roots and move them.

They will eventually take over the world if you do not trim them.In a post yesterday rhizomes were described both by me and others.I had them going 4' in 3 years at the farm Cheers

On a good not i think out of the original 11 plants i have, after i move em ill have enough rizhomes to go entirely around the new beergarden

You have to move that? That sucks!

Last weekend I pulled out 4 year old rhizomes and they easily had 'runners' four feet long- probably longer but we tore them getting them out of the ground. I'm learning more and more, but if a plant is healthy, nothing no longer surprises me. :)

all of the stone and gravel is moved with exception to the area that the hops are/were in. to answer the riginal ? yes in fact my hops roots traveled almost 20' in 3 years wow will post a pic when all done.

100_1724.jpg

100_1725.jpg

100_1726.jpg

all hops are happy and between 12-20 ft tall

no crappy old particle board countertop that unfortunately did not make its way into the new beergarden as someone for got to cover it last winter.( i wanna blame my dog) so it has been slowly been getting burned in the fire pit(with hotdogs present of course as it is illegal in ny to have a fire)

Back