Can I do a small AG batch with my Extract setup?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vast_reaction

Reaction score
Hi all! I currently brew 5 gallon extract batches. From what I can wrap my head around, the only limitations in making a 5 gallon AG batch on a stovetop are boil volume constraints, and the lack of setup to perform a proper sparge.

Basically, I want to know if it seems feasible to do a very low gravity, 3 gallon All-Grain batch on my electric stovetop. I brew in a 5 gallon pot. I am sure that I can safely mash 5-6 pounds of grain in my grain bag. I made a recipe in BeerSmith for a Southern English Brown Ale, All-Grain. All I'm using is:
3.5# Marris Otter (76.7%)
.25# Biscuit Malt (5.5%)
.25# Crystal 40L (5.5%)
.25# Chocolate Malt (5.5%)
.25# Brown Sugar (5.5%)
.5oz Styrian Goldings @50 min for 14.4 IBU

Mashing this at 151F for 1 hour puts me at an OG of 1.041. When I steep for my extract batches or do partial mashes, I "sparge" by just pouring a couple quarts of 170F water over the grain bag. Can I wing it and do this here, or is a "real" sparge necessary to hit my OG with an All-Grain brew? I appreciate any feedback on my process, or the recipe.

-Matt

YES YOU CAN!!!

Just call it a "partial" mash, and if you dont hit you gravity F-it ad some extract.:rockin:

yes_you_can.png

board.gif

you-can-do-it.jpg

I do 2.5 gallon AG batches. I prefer to use two kettles (a 4 gallon for boil and 3 gallon for mash-tun) but I just did a pale ale using the one four gallon and got 69% efficiency.

I have gotten as high as 88% using two kettles. I started by using DeathBrewer's all-grain on the stove method.

Do it!

Im going to be brewing alot of 2.5 gallon batches as im losing alot of my brew storage space because some one is moving in. Ive broken down a bunch of recipes from 2.5 gallons to 3 gallons. Ill be fermenting in my beer fermenters because they are the perfect size to put on a shelf in the closet. and im going to do some lagers too

Well. hot diggity. Thanks a million for the replies / link. I have seen Deathbrewer's Stickied pic tutorial for Partial Mash brewing, but never this one. It's awesome, and is exactly what I needed.

You can make a Zapap (bucket-in-bucket mash tun) for ten bucks and do all-grain easily if you don't mind dealing with temperature loss issues and having to drill 101 Dalmatian holes in the bottom of a bucket.

That's kinda where my AG brewing is right now, I think it's interesting to see how the beers come out. Probably put together the cooler-manifold thing soon (cost isn't really an issue) but I am learning a lot about brewing from working off the zapap and the beer is still way past drinkable.

Back