Making and using a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homebrewcrazy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm brewing a 10 gallon AG batch on Saturday and I plan on making a starter prior..

I see so many conflicting articles on how long prior to brew day to make the starter, some say 18-24 hours some say 4 days????? I also am wondering if I do a starter 24 hours prior do I have to dump the entire contents into my wort?? Is 24 hours enough time for a yeast cake to develop and the cells to multiply?

Any and all info would be extremely helpful...

Thanks,
Frank

Batch # 7 all grain this weekend and loving every second of this new found hobby... Can't say my wife says the same, but then again who cares... :drunk:

If I'm doing a starter only 24 hours before then I'll pitch the entire thing but also make it a bit smaller. With 10 gallons this is probably less of an issue.

If I'm doing a higher volume starter I try and do it a few days before, let it sit out for at least 2 days and put in the fridge 24 hours before brewing. When I start brewing I take it out of the fridge to get up to room temperature and only pitch the slurry.

24 hours is ok, 2-3 days is better.

You can either dump the whole thing or chill the starter and decant the wort, leaving the yeast.

If the starter is too big for your liking, get a stir plate. Using a stir plate dramatically reduces the amount of wort needed in a starter.

Listen to the podcast, they know more than I do.

Eric

Thanks, in the future I'll be sure to get my starter done 2-3 days prior, unfortunately I ordered my supplies late this time around and won't get the yeast until Friday, so I'm doing my best with the time I have..

One other question, To date I have been shaking my carboy to oxygenate the wort. I have recently invested in a tank and regulator, but see many conflicting reports on that as well.. Any suggestions on how much oxygen should be supplied and how long?

Thanks for the Podcast info I will listen to it while sipping on a Sierra clone when I get home tonight thanks for the info..

P.S. I'm ordering the stir plate as we speak..

Back