2nd Brew: Trappist Ale - Wyeast is making me...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TekelBira

Reaction score
My first one was an IPA (Brewer's Best extract kit) which turned out pretty darn good. This one now is the Noble trappist Ale extract kit from Midwest with yeast upgrade to Wyeast #3787 (dated 06/06/06).
The yeast package didn't come to life in about six hours after breaking the inner package so I had to refrigreate it for two days till I had another chance to brew. I brought the yeast package the room temperature as I prepared for the boil. It all went well and pitched the yeast at 70F as suggested. I am using a 6g carboy as the primary with double buble airlock (filled with vodka). I've noticed that carboy created a vacuum pulling the level up on the "in" side. I relieved the vacuum pressure letting air in. I am guessing due to another 2F drop in the temperature since I moved the carboy into the basement (68F).
I am also curious to see what so little liquid yeast can do. With my previous IPA, I had yeast powder which resulted high activity in few hours after pitching. I think I still have the teenage girl with the first time mini-skirt nervousness. Let me open up another IPA, in case it may help...:tank:

Back