Need Sausage Gravy Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know if it is the same as creamed beef. It is little bits of dried and cured beef (pretty much thin jerkey but without nearly as much flavor) in white gravy. Its usually served over toast or biscuits. Also known as sos or **** on a shingle.

HA!! We used to eat SOS all the time. Loved it!!! Sometimes it was called chipped beef on toast.

As far as the Sausage Gravy goes ours is pretty much like those listed above. Lots of coarse pepper. Sometimes I'll add some sage and/or crushed fennel just to mix it up.

My stomach started growling when I read through the posts. No Kidding!!! :mug:

I could litterally pour sausage gravy on my hat and eat it! I went to a fried chicken place and ordered up...the fried chicken and grits with a biscuit on the side. I asked the waitress for some gravy and she looked at me funny, I said, for the biscuit. She said, ok and returned with something akin to chicken gravy for potatoes, but the powdered version. I didn't need that, I wanted sausage country gravy!

Live and learn I say

Like a rocky mountain oyster or prairie oysters aren't from the ocean? That what you mean?

I could litterally pour sausage gravy on my hat and eat it! I went to a fried chicken place and ordered up...the fried chicken and grits with a biscuit on the side. I asked the waitress for some gravy and she looked at me funny, I said, for the biscuit. She said, ok and returned with something akin to chicken gravy for potatoes, but the powdered version. I didn't need that, I wanted sausage country gravy!

Live and learn I say

I've never heard of a fried chicken place to have sausage gravy before. I would have expected them to just give whatever gravy they use on the mashed potatoes.

Live and learn I say

Come to think of it the gravy offered with fast food chicken joints up here is just that, chicken gravy.

Damn, all this talk of biscuits and gravy, chicken fried steak, grits, fried chicken...

Glad I'm headed to St Louis for the holidays. You just can't find this stuff done proper in SoCal.

I know the feeling. I live close enough to the "south" to know all about these amazing things but far enough away that everything around here sucks.

There is a soul food place in Camden called "Corrine’s" the guys here have gone to a couple times to bring back and the portions were nuts. I got the meatloaf and it was easily several pounds and covered in brown gravy not tomato gravy. I think they are family portions; I ate on that thing for a week. I picked up an order of ox tails for my fiancee (she is Ukrainian, she eats anything and everything). It was really salty and spicy though, not hot spicy like I enjoy though, just highly seasoned.

EDIT: Several pounds.

As mentioned before, I can't stand everyone making it with a premade mix that just sits around all morning. It tastes bad man. I have heard of a good way to get the richness and not have to worry about the volume is to use evaporated milk, not condensed. It gives a lot of flavor, but not the total volume, so you can make a little less.

The real kicker is making it with some homemade sausage. I have some garlic jalapeno sausage that I made up and it is AWESOME in biscuits and gravy.

There is a soul food place in Camden called "Corrine’s" the guys here have gone to a couple times to bring back and the portions were nuts. I got the meatloaf and it was easily several pounds and covered in brown gravy not tomato gravy. I think they are family portions; I ate on that thing for a week. I picked up an order of ox tails for my fiancee (she is Ukrainian, she eats anything and everything). It was really salty and spicy though, not hot spicy like I enjoy though, just highly seasoned.

MMMMM..... Ox Tail Soup. That's to die for!!! :mug:

Yeah, we have a few "soul food" places that pop up every now and then around here. They have all sucked and don't last more than 1 or 2 years. I went to one and got a baby back rib sandwich. I assumed they would have taken the meat off the bones but nope just cut off a slab and tossed it on a roll. I really wish we had more bbq places around here too.

I made up the biscuits and gravy for Xmas morning and ended up eating some odd six biscuits and a half an english muffin. Fecking superb eating I say. Two pounds of sausage, half gallon of milk, 1/4 cup flour and half a stick of butter. Ground black pepper, salt and red pepper flakes and it was done. I really really really like it. Getting hungry just thinking of it.

Christmas with the kids and grandkids was on Sunday. We did breakfast burritos for about 25; large four tortillas, 4 pounds of bacon, 3 pounds of sausage, scrambled eggs, fried hash brown potatoes, salsa, rooster sauce, sour cream, and about a half-gallon of SAUSAGE GRAVY.

By special request we also did the sticky rice (sweet rice) and thai eggs deal; cook bacon strips, use the drippings for cooking a chitload of scrambled eggs with a LOT of thin sliced sweet onions, heavy on the black pepper.

Chipped Beef I haven't seen since before microwaves. There was 'Boil 'N A Bags', that you dropped in boiling water for a few minutes from out of the freezer, in those days. The Chipped Beef never survived the microwave transition...

I admit that while I make my gravy from scratch, I'm usually lazy about the biscuits and and get them from the pop-open can from the store.

Christmas with the kids and grandkids was on Sunday. We did breakfast burritos for about 25; large four tortillas, 4 pounds of bacon, 3 pounds of sausage, scrambled eggs, fried hash brown potatoes, salsa, rooster sauce, sour cream, and about a half-gallon of SAUSAGE GRAVY.

What the hell is rooster sauce?

I admit that while I make my gravy from scratch, I'm usually lazy about the biscuits and and get them from the pop-open can from the store.

Nothing wrong with that. Biscuits are a pain in the ass. I think the frozen are better than canned though.

What the hell is rooster sauce?

Nothing wrong with that. Biscuits are a pain in the ass. I think the frozen are better than canned though.

Rooster Sauce:
http://www.huyfong.com/no_frames/sriracha.htm

images

I am lazy and just use Gordons Food Service canned gravy, now, and add a bunch more sausage.

We just tried those. Only thing is... I thought they were only refrigerated like the ones in the cans. So, instead of nice round biscuits, we had fist-full-of-dough drop biscuits. They were pretty good that way actually! Just pulled big globs and plopped them on the pan. I hadn't had drop biscuits in a long time.

Thanks for the help again guys and gals. The gravy came out great and my sister was very happy to have it again after years. Not to mention I am now fairly confident in roux making and no sauce scares me.

Just made up more biscuits and gravy this morning. Biscuits took less time to make than the gravy. Here is the recipe I used and they came out nice and fluffy and not dense, but filling. Two biscuit max sort of thing.

2 cups AP flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda

1 stick unsalted butter, melted
1 cup buttermilk, cold (I just used milk this morning but it doesn't have acid to react with the baking soda, which makes a little more "dense" biscuit)

Preheat oven to 475* with baking rack in the middle of the oven.

Mix all of the dry ingredients together, melt butter and place in a seperate bowl with the buttermilk and stir until the butter starts to clump. Add to the dry ingredients and mix until just together and no more dry remains. Place onto a lined baking sheet using a super heaping tablespoon about 2" apart and bake at 475* for 12-13 minutes until brown on top. Cool on a rack and serve. This makes about 8-10 biscuits.

They taste like butter and are great. If I don't have the ingredients for this then bisquick and milk becomes my biscuits.

Gravy couldn't be easier if you already have milk, flour and sausage. The powdered mix has so many crazy things in them to help preserve them and give shelf life that I like to know that my gravy has only six things in it. Black pepper, red pepper, flour, sausage, milk and salt. Seventh is butter cause it tastes good! :mug:

Back