Beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subwyking

Reaction score
I just downloaded Beersmith last night, and I must say that I like it better than I do Promash. I find the interface much easier to use. Anyone else got any experience with Beersmith?

I downloaded both trial versions, and I must say there are elements of both I like. I like the decoction mash stuff in Beersmith. I am going to buy one of them, and Beersmith is a little cheaper and looks about as good (if not better in some respects) to ProMash. I haven't made up my mind. I'll be curious as to what other people think.

I've never used promash, but I did download Beersmith for the trial.

I noticed that some of the calculations for OG and IBU and AAU don't come out the same as if I do the math based on the book that I have.

Does anyone know what they use, for example, for the amount of isomerization for, say, 60min in the boil. The book I have says 60min = 30%, 30min = 21%, ...

I know that different people use different tables to figure this stuff out. Which one is correct?

I believe there are at least three different 'accepted' formulas for calculating IBU's: Rager, Tinseth, and ???. Also note that the % of your batch size that you boil (which is to say, a concentrated boil vs. a full wort boil) will affect the calculation.

Biermann said:
I downloaded both trial versions, and I must say there are elements of both I like. I like the decoction mash stuff in Beersmith. I am going to buy one of them, and Beersmith is a little cheaper and looks about as good (if not better in some respects) to ProMash. I haven't made up my mind. I'll be curious as to what other people think.

You can get promash from a vendor on ebay for 21 shipped I think it is. A couple bucks difference then beersmith.

I liked beersmiths layout better.. but promash seemed a little more functional.

Back