Same wort different efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nico93

Reaction score
Hi

I was thinking about this and i'm not sure about my idea, so i present you my doubt:

Using different quantities of malt and different efficency lead to same wort (and beer)?
to explain better:

100% maris otter beer

5kg of grain 65% efficiency 20 liter of 1051 wort
3,8kg of grain 85% efficiency 20 liter of 1051 wort

so i've got the same og but i used two different quantity of malt and i'll got different quantites of others compound!

what do you think about?

I also sended this messages to brulosophy.com maybe he can do an experiment if my question isn't insensate and he is interested

i was thinking about two mash made with the same technic, same initial dilution and different sparge efficiency, no sparge method looks more similar to biab to me!

The efficiency difference between sparge and no-sparge for a 5 kg grain bill is only going to be 8% - 9%. Getting a 20% efficiency difference with only 5 kg would require having different conversion efficiency for the two batches (using different crush size for example), and now you have more than one variable in the experiment. Would be easier to get a 20% efficiency difference with ~9 kg of grain.

BIAB No Sparge vs Sparge big beers.png

Brew on :mug:

great table, thanks!

i used 85% and 65% in the example only to increase the difference of grain quantities and explain better my thought, this summer i think i'm going to make some experiment about this!

great table, thanks!

i used 85% and 65% in the example only to increase the difference of grain quantities and explain better my thought, this summer i think i'm going to make some experiment about this!

Do it at least twice to get a better idea on the results. Get some friend over for a taste test. 3 way blind would be a good idea.:rockin::ban:

yeah i absolutely need some friends also because i'm not a good tester :)

Back