Monster Yeast = Monster Foam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadcossette

Reaction score
I've seen solutions on what to do when you're getting foam in your airlock - can someone provide insight on why this happens? it's only my second batch and I'm two for two on foam into my airlock. Day two and three on my second batch had to have the airlock swapped out. I used to much yeast on the first batch I thought, the second I only used 5grams of Champagne yeast and I'm getting monster foam results. (store bought apple juice, 1gallon, sugar, 5g yeast)

Also - If I shake the demi to get the yeast from the top that bubbled up, back into liquid, is that a bad idea? I took the tube out, had my second one ready to go, gave it a little swirl around to get the yeast back in, and swapped in a clean airlock

A blow off tube is what you will need to keep active fermentations from clogging your airlocks. I use one of those 2 part (or are they 3 part?) airlocks...remove all of the parts and put a 1/2" length of tube on it. Run the length of tub into a small container of star san or water. It allows the CO2 to escape but won't clog unless it's SUPER active.

If you have a full carboy and happy healthy yeasties...it's a good thing to have to use a blowoff tube.

Not a great pic, but hope it helps.

hardCider_blowofftube_LO.jpg

A blow off tube is what you will need to keep active fermentations from clogging your airlocks.

Agreed. But just a comment on the picture - you want to keep the blowoff container below the level of your fermenter to avoid any liquid from the blowoff from being siphoned back into the fermenter.

You'd think so, but I've never had a problem with temp fluctuations in my "brewing room" so I haven't experienced suckback. Plus my hose won't reach to the floor ;)

I always change back to a regular airlock once initial fermentation starts to settle down. Usually within a couple of days.

Some of you guys go through a lot of trouble not to use a simple bucket, in a bucket let it foam its head off, when the foaming stops rack it into a carboy, yeah you have an extra bucket to clean but then you dont have to clean up the nasty sticky stuff that foamed out of your carboy, plus you dont loose any juice! If you are paranoid about oxygenation you can put a lid on it with a bubbler. WVMJ

Use a bigger carboy, its not rocket science, well it would be if your blowoff tube got clogged up :) WVMJ

In my picture..it's a 1+ gallon jug with 1 gallon of juice. So I guess I could use less juice, but I don't have a bigger jug. I use a 6.5 gallon carboy when making 5 (end product) gallon batches. So I never need a blowoff tube on larger batches. I really don't want to tie up a large carboy (or a bucket) for a 1 gallon quick batch.

Buckets certainly do serve their purpose, but I prefer glass over plastic. I've always just enjoyed watching what is going on inside. Fermentation is more fun to watch than American Idol. (IMHO) ;)

They make 3 gallon carboys and if you are lucky you can find some 2 gallon glass carboys (maybe 2.5) on ebay. We also have a collection of plastic containers from 1 - 5 gal from resturant supply places that you can see through, glass primary not so important as glass secondary. WVMJ

Back