Ball Lock QD FFL Thread Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cank

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a set of the Ball Lock QDs that are threaded Flair posts.
I thought I read that the size of threads on the Gas in (grey) is 5/16" and the Black out (black) is 1/4".
I went to Lowes yesterday and couldn't find what I needed so I have to order on line and don't want to order the wrong parts.

What is the correct size for each?
Also, should I go with 5/16 barb for gas in with 5/16 line?
Lastly, soda-dispensers.com seems to have the lowest price, anybody use them before? If not, any other cheap places to get them without being killed on shipping?

I'm cold crashing my first brew and can't wait to get it in the keg! :ban:

The flare threads on both gas and liquid sides are 1/4", it's the size of the swivel nut barb that may differ, depending on your hose preference. I use 1/4" swivels on both sides of my systems...

Cheers!

I get my swivel nuts (with the correct barb size for the hoses that will be clamped to them) from Keg Connection. You want stainless steel fittings here, not brass, or some other metal.

I use 5/16" barb for the 5/16" ID gas lines and 1/4" barb for the 3/16" beer (Bevlex) lines. You need to warm up the beer line ends in order to get them over the barbs. Once done, and clamped (Oetiker clamps only, worm clamps suck) it doesn't leak or go anywhere on you. :D

Ordered 1/4" for both. Gonna have to save up for the Oetiker clamps;) Why are they so high?

Thanks

They're cheaper per unit than worm clamps are. They also grab a full 360 degrees around the hose, unlike worm clamps. 1/4" barb is NOT the correct size to use on 5/16" gas hose. It's not a tight enough fit and it will leak. If you have 5/16" ID gas lines, get the 5/16" barb swivel nuts.

No, you're right. I got 1/4 thread size but 1/4 barb for bev. out and 5/16 barb for gas in.

I have a 1/4 gas that I am using temporarily to quick carb at 30 psi. Do you think that will leak overnight?

Is that a special crimping tool for the Oetiker clamps that shows up on an Amazon search?

No, you're right. I got 1/4 thread size but 1/4 barb for bev. out and 5/16 barb for gas in.

I have a 1/4 gas that I am using temporarily to quick carb at 30 psi. Do you think that will leak overnight?

Is that a special crimping tool for the Oetiker clamps that shows up on an Amazon search?

1/4" gas line on a 5/16" barb will be ok, provided you use a clamp (especially at 30psi). Look at Keg Connection's page for the tool. Under $9 for it, and it does a fine job.

Back