Bad taste please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

socalbrewer1796

Reaction score
I am new to brewing and have tried two kits from brewers best. I have brewed the English brown ale and the smoked porter and both were coming along great. They taste fine but have a horrible after taste and strong off smell. All of my bottles have tons of sediment. Any suggestions or does any body know what I am doing wrong. I hope to figure out what I'm doing wrong because I just pitched yeast into a batch of imperial blonde ale yesterday.

Any chance you were fermenting in direct sunlight? You could have skunked the beer. Not sure what you mean by "off taste"

This happened to a batch of an American light I made last summer. I made it side by side with a red ale. Fermented in the same dark closet, same temps, bottled same day. The red ale was awesome while the light beer had a slinky taste.
I gave them to my buddy who said the first 6 pack was tough to drink, but a week later when he ran out he called me up wanting me to make it again lol

Time will likely fix your problems. You may have bottled a little early if you have excessive sediment. Nurse the blonde for a while (maybe start another batch) and try to forget about the bottles for a bit.

I can't really explain the taste or smell it just hit after you take a drink. At first it tastes fine but then you get this over powering taste. It's actually been around six months since bottling and it's still there. I have been trying them every once in a while to see but they haven't improved. I didn't have them in direct sunlight.

I think you will need to provide some additional details of your process and the off taste. Temperature and water can be factors that time can't fix. Give some more info and keep brewing. You will find the answer. You ARE in the right place.

I have used tap water on one batch because my water tastes fine and doesn't have any flavors from water treatment and is clear. I have also used water from a machine that filters and cleans the water with reverse osmosis or something along those lines. I have used the sanitizer in the white jar that's no rinse and I have used the lil bottle of iodine that I purchased at my brew shop. I never really had a stable temp before on my previous batches but this time I do so hopefully that will fix my issues

I suggest star San. its good to change up sanitizers ever now and then..
Remember don't fear the foam

I have been using iodophor and a no rinse sanitizer on a jar. I have used tap water that has not cloudiness and doesn't have any chemical taste very clean water an I have also used water from a machine that uses reverse osmosis. I have never had a stable temp on my last to batches but the blonde I am keeping a close eye on and am keeping it cool within the temp called for on directions.

That's a loaded question. I use kegs as my secondary. Where are you from? I suggest joining a club and bringing beer for people to try. I did that and it helped me out big time. Most clubs have plenty of bjcp judges. Hard to tell what's going on dirtying on my couch.

Keep with it and it will get better. Make sure you clean and sanitize religiously.

I went thru the same Thing your going thru months ago. Pm if you want to chat in phone and I can help.

It would be MUCH more beneficial if you could describe the off-flavor better than just "an aftertaste". Does it taste like canned vegetables? Or like buttered popcorn? Is it sour? There's a ton of possibilities, and nobody can really help pinpoint your problem until you give more information.

Okay guys after many tastes and I'm still have trouble describing it. It's kinda sour and as a strong smell kinda like rubbing alcohol. It kinda smells like the inside of a guniness after its sat out. Like a mild written taste. I know this is still brief. I'm trying to get a better description. I have had five people try it and they all can't describe it.

Back