Possible Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nierika

Reaction score
I brewed a mild brown ale 7 days ago. Made a starter with White Labs Burton Ale wlp023. The fermentation started very fast and was quite vigorous. Took a peek at it today and noticed what looks like some sort of pellicle on top? It's looks almost like the bubbles that form when you blow through a straw into milk. Took a quick smell, but had a hard time telling if anything was off.

I was wondering if it is a byproduct of this yeast? A Pellicle (could a pellicle even form in >7 days?) I'm gonna take a sample when I get home and try to get some better pics.

Any thoughts?

IMG_20111203_091430.jpg

What are you trying to accomplish by taking a sample? I've never used that yeast, but it looks to me like it's a big top cropper and you've got a bunch of yeast up there. I've had a few strains that just sit up there and never drop. You end up siphoning the beer out from underneath it. Whatever the case, it's likely fine and there's no real point in opening the airlock.

I brewed a brown ale about 6 weeks ago with the same yeast and just got around to bottling it yesterday. Thats exactly what yeast looks like. One fermenter was fine, the other one definetly wasn't. Once you see an infection, you'll know it. It looks totally different than krausen.

Back