My Keezer build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lukeaj

Reaction score
Please tell me what you think. Originally I had just a collar with taps in it, but it was perfect "toddler height." Nothing makes a grown man cry like watching your beautiful beer being dumped onto the ground.

2010-11-08 16.39.09.jpg

Looks real good. Probably need to toddler proof that CO2 tank next :) Watching your beer hit the ground will be nothing compared to watching the gauges break off your regulator.

That's seriously beautiful! Love the tile.

Do you have any problems when opening the lid due to the weight of the coffin? It looks heavy.

Really nice work! Excellent job for your first tile job. I'm grouting my travertine stone tile on my top today. My lid is heavy as hell so I added safety straps to mine to prevent ruining the hinges by the weight of the top forcing the lid open too far. Mine should be done today!!! Again...great job!

That's seriously beautiful! Love the tile.

Do you have any problems when opening the lid due to the weight of the coffin? It looks heavy.

I used the old hinges, so they open. I pull it out from the wall a bit and put a towel on top between the wall and the tower to hold it open for me. It is heavy. I put some plywood under the tile on bottom so the lid would not flex and break it all off.

lukeaj....check out my keezer build for ideas about how to incorporate safety straps into your keezer, so you don't have to prop the top up against the wall to hold it open. My top is very heavy and before I incorporated the safety straps, I had to prop the top against something or it would either destroy the hinges or tip the entire unit over. Once you find your balance point with the ratchet straps, you anchor them from the bottom surface of the top and to the inside of your lower cabinet. That way you wont run the risk of denting your walls....the straps hold the lid from opening too far and with it properly balanced, there is little torque on the hinges. My thread is very long, but the ratchet strap idea that I incorporated is no page 12 of my thread in my signature line. Just a thought to help you out. :mug:

I used the old hinges, so they open. I pull it out from the wall a bit and put a towel on top between the wall and the tower to hold it open for me. It is heavy. I put some plywood under the tile on bottom so the lid would not flex and break it all off.

I just noticed in your pictures that you don't have a lot of room inside of the cabinet for the straps and your plywood top doesn't really overhang very far. Looks like your cabinet is build pretty tight to the exterior wall of the chest freezer. May be hard to incorporate the straps, but if you can find a way....trust me it will really help you out. Just a thought.

I just noticed in your pictures that you don't have a lot of room inside of the cabinet for the straps and your plywood top doesn't really overhang very far. Looks like your cabinet is build pretty tight to the exterior wall of the chest freezer. May be hard to incorporate the straps, but if you can find a way....trust me it will really help you out. Just a thought.

Yeah, it's not a bad idea, maybe something internal to the inside of the front collar and attached to the rigidity supports on the lid.

Back