Bourbon oaked Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunfighter04

Reaction score
Picked up a bottle of Makers Mark for soaking my oak chips for my porter.

Now what do I do with the remainder of the bottle? :D I'm normally a scotch guy, but I could get used to this stuff.

Now for the question, at what point in the secondary should I add the bourbon and oak? I plan on aging this porter for several weeks before bottling.

I added mine directly to the secondary and racked the beer from the primary on top of it. Granted, I used Jim Beam Black, but I think the smell and flavor is really impressive. I soaked my chips for close to a month.

I brew a vanilla oak porter using bourbon soaked oak chips...for the 5 gal batch I use 1 oz of oak chips (dry weight) that were soaked for an extended time in Henry McKenna 10 year. I added with transfer to secondary for a total of 20 days before bottling...very nice...

PS...I also prefer scotch, but sipping bourbon is pretty nice too...I did start acquiring a taste for it once I started brewing bourbon-soaked oaked beers...

Picked up a bottle of Makers Mark for soaking my oak chips for my porter.

Now what do I do with the remainder of the bottle? :D I'm normally a scotch guy, but I could get used to this stuff.

When life gives you bourbon........ make Manhattans. :D That's what I do. Lovely drink to have at the end of a tough work day. I also like scotch, but more like an after-dinner drink.

Are you making the Northern Brewer Bourbon Barrel Porter by any chance?

I made one few weeks ago and it's in the secondary now for about 2 weeks. Planning to soak the chips for 2-3 days and then add (the chips only) after the fourth week.

Back