Too soon to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganu

Reaction score
First batch has been resting in the pantry for 7 days now, but I've noticed that for the past 2 days (maybe even 3) my blowoff tube/airlock has been burping air only around once every 45 seconds. Real consistent. Kinda plateaued there.

Will my fermentation totally cease before I move on to bottling or is this as inactive as it's going to get? Like I said, it's kinda leveled off instead of continuing on and tapering off.

Thanks in advance.

(I asked this in the BOTTLING/KEGGING room but it's not getting any views there)

First batch has been resting in the pantry for 7 days now, but I've noticed that for the past 2 days (maybe even 3) my blowoff tube/airlock has been burping air only around once every 45 seconds. Real consistent. Kinda plateaued there.

Will my fermentation totally cease before I move on to bottling or is this as inactive as it's going to get? Like I said, it's kinda leveled off instead of continuing on and tapering off.

Thanks in advance.

(I asked this in the BOTTLING/KEGGING room but it's not getting any views there)

Thanks in advance.

As many will tell you here, do not go off airlock activity to determine fermentation. Take a hydrometer reading over a three day period and if it remains constant then fermentation is complete and you are safe to bottle.

The best way to know for sure is to take a gravity reading. If you're at your target FG, then you're ready to bottle!

As many will tell you here, do not go off airlock activity to determine fermentation. Take a hydrometer reading over a three day period and if it remains constant then fermentation is complete and you are safe to bottle.

What he said. What type of beer are you brewing and what is your target Gravity suppose to be?

Check the gravity over 3 days if there is no change it is done. I waited until the bubbles stopped once then bottled only to have the bottles explode. I checked the gravity from some of the bottles and it was way lower then it was prior to bottling.

I wish I had an answer about my gravity. When I bought my kit/recipie, the only instructions were to let it ferment 7-14 days (10 ideal). No specs on gravity were included. This is a wheat ale that my local brew shop calls the house wheat. Just some kind of basic beginner beer.

So judging off of bubble activity is not the way to go, huh? The exploding bottles is exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I'll likely go ahead and do my 10 days per instructions.

EDIT: gravity is sitting at 1.012

Ok, so check the gravity again in 2 more days and if its till at .012 then bottle that sucker. the 7-14 days could be for differences in fermentation temperature or any other variable such as that particular yeast strain. .012 doesn't sound too bad though.

Back