Stupid Decision, Need ideas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmmarvel

Reaction score
Well I pulled a boner-headed move (not a typo). I put together a recipe for a Vanilla java bourbon aged porter, complete with a few yeast choices. Well I was running some errands the other day and decided to pick up some yeast. My mind went blank and I couldn't remember any of the 3 yeast choices that I came up with before, and consequently I ended up with Wyeast "northeast" ale yeast - not a particularly good candidate for the beer style I went with.

So I have a yeast starter made and plan to brew tomorrow or saturday. Any suggestions on what I could brew (I know this yeast is good for american stouts, Ipas and pales, which may be more seasonally appropriate) ??

Thanks.
:confused:

Yeah, I'm an idiot today (Sorry, wife and I just had a kid on Saturday and I don't have a working brain...). It is Northwest Ale yeast. I don't want to do anything too plain, like an apa or anything. I'm really bummed that I can't do my porter recipe, but like i said in the OP, it's not exactly seasonally appropriate... Any ideas for a beer w/ my Northwest ale yeast?

what's so plain about an apa? do an american IPA then. just do something that utilizes american hops like summit or tomahawk. And, by the way, american pale ale WAS my idea for a beer w/ your northwest ale yeast. take it or leave it.

Why is NW ale such a bad choice for your porter? I know it's not english, but I've fermented MANY ales with it and it is a great yeast. Very clean at low temps (you can take it down to 58 no problem, no matter what Wyeast says) and if you go a little high, say 68, you get a nice fruity ale. I mean, if you are really opposed to it, do a Robust Porter instead of the Vanilla Porter. What yeasts where you looking at originally?

what's so plain about an apa? do an american IPA then. just do something that utilizes american hops like summit or tomahawk. And, by the way, american pale ale WAS my idea for a beer w/ your northwest ale yeast. take it or leave it.

Sorry, didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch...

I don't have any way to regulate temp so that it stays around 58, so the fruitiness wouldn't be great for what I wanted to go for. But it should be fine for an IPA. I guess that helps make my mind up...

Back