when cutting a keg for a keggle....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Djlunchbox

Reaction score
when cutting the top of a keg for a keggle, why does everyone leave a lip there? i have not looked at how they are welded up, but it would make more sense to not have it there from a cleaning stand point. it it to keep the keg more stable?

also, what is the best way to make lids? i want something nicer then an old pot lid on there.

If you cut it all the way through, I have heard that the keg does not stay round as well. Not sure about the lid aspect. GL, I will be cutting soon too!

If the piece you remove from the keg is nice you can attach something to it to make a lip and use that for a lid.

The reason I left a lip is that my grinder could not get any closer to the edge. The head to my grinder was bumping the edge of the rim. After it was done I realized what mariojr is saying. I took what I cut off. Welded four tabs to it and can now us it as a lid.

If I wanted to take the lip out it would have been a bunch of extra work with a dremel to cut it all the way out.

The way the top of the keg rounds in, the only way to have the opening be the maximum diameter is to cut below the handles. This makes the keg "flimsier" and unless you rivet/weld some handles on, inconvenient to carry as well. The added structural integrity, comfortable handles, and the ability to use a 12" lid outweigh the disadvantage of an opening slightly smaller than the maximum inner diameter.

I'm with Brewmoor, that's as close as I could get plus my lid from my 30qt turkey fryer sits in perfectly. I have yet to use mine though, need to get the ball valve installed with a dip tube.

There is a video on youtube of someone cutting out everything but the handles. His did not look flimsy but from what people here have said, it is a definite possibility.

When you get a cracking good boil on a 14 gallon batch of wort, you'll be glad that lip is there.

Notice the lip actually prevents spillage by dumping the boil back in on itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with Brewmoor, that's as close as I could get plus my lid from my 30qt turkey fryer sits in perfectly. I have yet to use mine though, need to get the ball valve installed with a dip tube.

Still haven't done that? :D

And Bier Muncher you still haven't cleaned that edge up? ;)

Still haven't done that? :D

And Bier Muncher you still haven't cleaned that edge up? ;)

That keg was obviously cut with their teeth. Anyone who can do that you don't joke with.

I haven't done that yet! Those metal shavings are still in the bottom. I ordered a burner from BMW so hoping to brew next Sat. :mug:

When you get a cracking good boil on a 14 gallon batch of wort, you'll be glad that lip is there.

Notice the lip actually prevents spillage by dumping the boil back in on itself.

Very Interesting.......I never even considered that. Seems logical now that I see it. Like MikeG I have yet to use mine. Testing this weekend with water and oxyclean. Hopefully brew the following weekend.

...Testing this weekend with water and oxyclean. Hopefully brew the following weekend.

Fill that keggle one gallon at a time and mark off the levels every five gallons. Use a high tech marking device like I did.

Keggle_4.JPG

Fill that keggle one gallon at a time and mark off the levels every five gallons. Use a high tech marking device like I did.

Keggle_4.JPG

I am using the dip tube from the keg as a sight gauge. I brazed it into the inside of the keg. I am going to have a float inside the tube. I will mark the float at gallon intervals. You can see a picture of it in my build thread. Check my signature. The wood is just to show what it will look like.

Edit: I was being lazy. Here is the pic,

IMG_0073.JPG

i saw the wok cover idea too, and i like that for mine. i will use stainless bowels tho. a little thicker. after reading all these posts i think i will plasma mine out and leave a lip.

Back