Some help with a Cyser recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LewisM

Reaction score
Hey all, having just finished my first batch of straight cider (its beautiful, carbonating now) i thought id try something a tad more ambitiouse.
Cyser seemed like a nice idea, still reasonably simple but has more ingrediants that just apple juice heh.

So i hunted around a bit and found THIS recipe.
Seemed like a good choice, fairly simple + aparently pretty strong (as ive said before, everyone around me prefers a bit of punch to there drink), so before i rush in i thought id ask a few questions.

- Would this still work if i left out the molasis?
- I prefer a sweet cider, so would this go down well with an ale yeast? I know this would give me a weaker drink, but meh, ill pick flavour over strength any day :)
- How long would you guys expect this to ferment for?

cheers for help :)

Ok, I took a look at the recipe and while I wouldn't say I disagree with everything in the recipe, there is a lot that is not nescessary. First off, dump the molases (especially in primary, I find it gave an odd mineral flavor when fermented). Second, there is no real difference in brown sugar or white if you buy it in the grocery store. Plain sugar is fine in Cider (or, if you want it to add some flavor get Turbinado or something along that line).

Next, don't boil anything! Do not boil the juice (or if you do make sure you add some pectic enzymes or it will never clear). Second, do not boil the honey! Warm the juice and add the honey to dissolve by all means but there is no reason to boil! 120 degrees is fine to pasturize (I don't bother, honey is highly resistent to bacteria and the juice is pasturized if you get it from the store, if not, campden it 24 hours in advance).

Lastly, nutrients are not needed but I have found they still help with fermentation. For cysers I really like Lalvin 71B or Nottinghams (if you want to use an ale yeast). It is going to ferment dry no matter what you use (most likely) and you may need to backsweeten to get that apple flavor.

Basically, it should go like this. Apple juice to 5 gallons + yeast of your choice + honey (I would go with 6-7 pounds) + sugar to an OG of 1.12 or so. Ferment till primary is done (about 2-3 weeks). Transfer to secondary for 2-3 months. Then either keg it or age it (if you can wait, worth it) for six months to a year. Voila . . . Cyser!

ahh thank you, much appreciated =)

although i think ill have to invest in a few more demijons heh :)

Back