cpvc manifold build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defenestrate

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i've used a mesh braid for mashing so far with decent success, although lately i've had it floating up a bit, and i feel like i may be gettign some channeling going on so i decided to give a cpvc a try. its all 1/2".

all cut and together in MLT. not perfect, but it fits pretty good. i used some flexible pvc (rated to 200, but i forget the name) to run to the coupling. i used the threaded barb from my mesh braid and forced it on, worked pretty good.
0616091544.jpg

here are the slits i cut in the bottom, they are roughly 1/3 of the way up the tubing.
0616091646.jpg

this is how much water was left after a practice run....i would estimate it at about a quart?
0616091641.jpg

not bad for about 90 min of work and about 10 bucks. hope it works out better, we'll know for sure next week!

Are you continuous/fly sparging?

If so, the manifold will be more efficient if you'll increase the gap between the outer pipes and the walls. With the pipes so close to the walls, you'll get lots of channeling along the walls since that path is less restrictive than the grain bed itself.

Bring the manifold edges in a couple of inches and you'll get better results.

If so, the manifold will be more efficient if you'll increase the gap between the outer pipes and the walls. With the pipes so close to the walls, you'll get lots of channeling along the walls since that path is less restrictive than the grain bed itself.

batch sparging...still an issue?

Nice!

Don't forget to take the labels off the fittings -- I think the glue taste nasty.

Looks like mine. I don't think you will be disappointed. I brewed 2 batches with a braid and decided to go for a manifold. Now I never worry about sparging.

Just go slow on the vourlaufing, mine will get stuck if you get to crazy before the grain bed sets.

Channeling does not happen with such a small rig. In a larger system like in a brewery this could happen. In a small cooler this is highly unlikely.

Nice!

Don't forget to take the labels off the fittings -- I think the glue taste nasty.

i will after my first brew with it, i was going to try an adhesive ale first
IIRC, channeling is a non-issue if you're batch sparging. You're not depending on an even flow over the grains to extract the sugars (as you would be with fly).

New manifold looks good, though.

:mug:

when i drain the tun, it doesnt seem to flow through the grains evenly- it seemed to me that it was all pulling from the front (by the valve)...so i guess thats what i meant :cross:

Channeling does not happen with such a small rig. In a larger system like in a brewery this could happen. In a small cooler this is highly unlikely.

Sorry, incorrect. The fundamental fluid dynamics don't change - water will prefer the path of least resistance. With the pipes positioned firmly on the walls, you will get channeling down the sides of the cooler, which lowers efficiency by ~5%.

Latest posts

Back