Best way to make labels?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stTimer

Reaction score
I will be bottling my second batch, a porter, in a week or two. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a label maker or a way to make labels. I really want to make up my own labels. I’m not sure why, but I just do. I’m a decent graphic artist so I’m looking forward to coming up with something. Thanks for any help.

Look just above your post where there is a sticky for seal ,label generator.
couple different links there.

plain white copy paper, laser printer, razor and straight edge. Dip in milk, or brush back with milk (I use 2%) and stick to the bottle. Works great and is really easy to remove and clean to reuse bottle.

Thanks for input guys. I wasnt sure if regular paper would hold up. I thought it might have to be some kind of special lamanent or something. I've got some great drawings at home. Ill put them up here when I get them done. Thanks again.

On an unrelated topic, how do I get the information about my primary, Secondary and bottles to show up on my posts?

Go with 24lb paper or higher in my opinion...
regular old 20 lb works, but once you try 24, you'll never go back.... okay, maybe you'll go back, but 24's still better. :)

Thanks for input guys. I wasnt sure if regular paper would hold up. I thought it might have to be some kind of special lamanent or something. I've got some great drawings at home. Ill put them up here when I get them done. Thanks again.

They hold up fine until they get wet ;) Laminates are going to cost you more than the beer... Don't just inkjet, it will run if the bottles sweat. Color laser is the way to go...

022609_01.jpg

I've had Kinko's print up labels for me a couple times. They have a self-adhesive paper and laser printers. They seem to hold up okay to being in a cooler of water.

No idea how easy to remove, I've only done them for bottles to give away.

I simply designed labels that fit four rectangles to a normal sized sheet of paper (easy to cut with a paper cutter) and brought the file in on a flash drive.

Hmmm... I just realized that my work has a color laser... And I'm the computer guy! He he.. I know where i"m printing my next set!

Although, TBH, a decent inkjet prints a better image than even a real good color laser. Studies have shown and my test have proven it. I was surprised, but unless you go REAL expensive on the laser, an inkjet usually looks better.

Back