Winter Seasonal Beer WWJD - What Would Jesus Drink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slapmc

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP500/530
Yeast Starter
N/A
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
N/A
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
28 days, 72 degrees F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Additional Fermentation
Add additional yeast at bottling, carb to 2.8-3.0
Tasting Notes
Great holiday beer.
Fermentables:
4.5 lbs Belgian Pils
2.5 lbs Belgian Pale
12 oz Cane Sugar
12 oz Caramunich III
8 oz D180 (candisyrup.com's is the best)
8 oz Light Brown Sugar
6 oz Belgian Biscuit
3 oz Belgian Aromatic
2 oz Special B
1 oz Chocolate 350

Hop Schedule:
60 - 1oz Hallertauer Tradition 6.5 aa
15 - .5oz Hallertauer Tradition 6.5 aa

Spices
Added at Flameout:
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Ginger
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Allspice

Added 1 week before bottling:
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Ginger
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1/8 tsp Allspice

Oak:
Added one day after fermentation has begun:
.5 oz American Oak Chips
.25 oz French Oak Chips (medium toast)

I soak the chips in Makers Mark Whiskey for about 3-4 days before adding.

Mash at 153

Pitch yeast at 68, let rise to 72-74 until fermentation is complete.

I alternate between 500 and 530 every year. They are two of my favorite yeasts and have trouble choosing one over the other as they both contribute admirable qualities to this beer.

1341438935z2bgxuvq9h.jpg

Two questions for you on what looks to be a great beer!

How much Makers Mark Whiskey do you soak the chips in?

When you put the oak chips in the brew do only throw the chips or do throw the chips with the Makers in as well?

When you say you add additional yeast at bottling, what do you mean? I'm not familiar with that. Do you add another full batch dose of yeast or just a little? Is the extra yeast using remaining sugar or do you prime as usual? (I tend to keg, but this one looks like it would change with age so I would want to bottle)

Two questions for you on what looks to be a great beer!

How much Makers Mark Whiskey do you soak the chips in?

When you put the oak chips in the brew do only throw the chips or do throw the chips with the Makers in as well?

Sorry for the late reply, I have been off the site for awhile.

I generally use enough whisky to fully soak the chips, which is usually anywhere from 2-3 ounces. As far as what gets tossed in with the brew, I put both the chips and whiskey in.

When you say you add additional yeast at bottling, what do you mean? I'm not familiar with that. Do you add another full batch dose of yeast or just a little? Is the extra yeast using remaining sugar or do you prime as usual? (I tend to keg, but this one looks like it would change with age so I would want to bottle)

in a lot of beers, the ale yeast is fully saturated in alcohol by the time bottling day comes... so people add a champagne yeast which is more aggressive (and much higher alcohol tollerance) to carbonate. a lot of big breweries do this too (but a lot have one house yeast)

The yeast is generally so spent after fermentation that it helps to add some at bottling, to help the beer bottle condition, as most Belgian brewers do. As far as how much to add, that is entirely up to you but you could use a new vial. I normally use a healthy 25-35 ml slurry of washed yeast. I don't like to overdo it, but I like to be cautious to ensure it will carb up properly and referment in the bottle. And I add the yeast in addition to the priming sugar.

Back