Dark Mild March Brown Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am brewing this over the weekend and only have cascade, centennial, chinook, hallertau and warrior on hand. Homebrew shop was out of magnum at the moment. Do any of these sound like an acceptable sub?

Warrior and Chinook would be too harshly bitter, IMO. Hallertau would be my first choice, then Cascade or Centennial.

I brewed this over the weekend, using Willamette, and substituting chocolate for the pale chocolate (and reducing the amount a bit). I'm really looking forward to tasting this!

This is delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Flyangler. I need to track down an authentic commercial mild, somehow, for sake of comparison.

This is delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe, Flyangler. I need to track down an authentic commercial mild, somehow, for sake of comparison.

Sweeeeeeeeeet. :mug:

The only mild I've been able to find in the US without too much trouble is Moorhouse Black Cat. Of course, bottled export versions will be a higher ABV than their UK cask equivalents.

Can't wait to brew this Saturday! Because I am repitching Windsor and have some bulk Hallertau, this batch only cost me $12! Is it too early to predict this will be the best 25 cent beer that I've ever had?

Sadly, I have to bottle it but I was thinking of using around 2 oz of sugar. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I've never used anything else to prime before but do have some dme on hand if that might be better.

Rogue-
I wouldn't hesitate to prime with sugar. I'm not sure on the amount, but you can use an online carbonation calculator for that. Enjoy this great mild -- I did.

Can't wait to brew this Saturday! Because I am repitching Windsor and have some bulk Hallertau, this batch only cost me $12! Is it too early to predict this will be the best 25 cent beer that I've ever had?

Sadly, I have to bottle it but I was thinking of using around 2 oz of sugar. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I've never used anything else to prime before but do have some dme on hand if that might be better.

Rogue,

Definitely use an online carbonation calculator, somewhere in the neighborhood of 1.5 volumes will approximate cask levels of carbonation.

Based on all the comments here I decided I had to try this recipe out! Unfortunately, I went down to my LHBS and they didn't have most of the British grains (which is to be expected?). Luckily, they recommended good substitutions and I was able to get 2/5 called for malts. I grabbed Magnum hops and WLP013 London Ale yeast and headed home also with my new Blichmann burner — finally got my own!

Everything went according to plan and after chilling the wort I pulled up a sample in my wine thief and the O.G. was spot on at 1.036. I threw the yeast starter in that I began ~36 hours before and later tonight it's already humming along at a nice fermentation.

I should mention that I pulled the airlock off and gave it a smell... absolutely amazing smell of molasses. Anyone else get that on theirs?

Thanks again for the recipe flyangler18!
Cheers,
Ben

BrewToppers - Congrats on the new burner and on hitting the OG spot on! I don't recall a molasses scent emanating from the airlock, but I brewed this quite awhile ago. I need to brew this again, though I need to get a secondary regulator so that it doesn't get overcarbed (to a usual pale ale level) next time. You will enjoy this tasty brew, I'm sure.

Can anyone help me with a partial mash or extract version of this? I'm not really set up for all grain yet. Thanks

Arrg, it seems that every good recipe I find turns out to be a gallon or tow over my brew pot volume. How can I mod these directions to end up with 5.5 or so gallons to ferment? My brew pot only holds 7.5 gal.

This is an excellent recipe. I'm enjoying a pint now and I love it. It's a bit young and could use slightly more carbonation at this point but this might be a regular brew for me.
Any opinions on adding 0.5# victory to this recipe? I was thinking it could only add to the aroma and flavor of this brew and doesn't increase the ABV beyond the style
:mug:

It seems like a long time since anyone has posted in this thread.

I am planning to brew this on the weekend, and I am wondering if people are still brewing this, and if so what changes they have made? I am thinking of adding a wee bit of Special B to the mix.

I brewed this up several days ago but I did some violence to the original, mainly because there were it men not available.

For a 15 gal batch:
17 lbs marris
1.5 crystal 60
1 crystal 120
8 oz chocolate malt
3.2 black patent
1.25 east Kent goldings (at boil)
1 oz fuggles (1/2 hour)

Mash at 156
Wyeast 1335 (Brit ale 2)

I nailed the numbers dead on and it is fermenting madly at about 64 degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Kegged today. The sample was very tasty, I am looking forward to this one!

Fg at 1.013,
ABV about 4.2

I will post a picture when I have a pint

Sounds awesome!
Have a pint for me as well!
Need to look at adding this to the rotation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Tastes malty and mild, a hint of dark fruit, slight roasty. I usually let brews age, often for months, but this is great after a week and a half. It is better on the warmer side of cold-if I taste it straight from the keezer (34 degrees) it is a slight bit thin. As it warms it becomes richer

image.jpg

Back