FG thoughts...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pugs13

Reaction score
Can someone describe to me why they think I am having issues with me FG? For some reason I am going below my FG. This last ale I made I used Irish Ale Yeast and the FG was supposed to be around 1.014 and I ended up at 1.010...its been happening as of late...I am running about 80% efficiency and mash in at the correct temp. anywhere from 152-154F. I fly sparge with water temp at about 175-180F.

It's pretty hard to say "the FG was supposed to be XX" since it's dependent on recipe, mash temp, yeast strain, fermentation temp, pitching rate, etc.

How do you calibrate your thermometer? What % attenuation have you been getting? Are you sure your hydrometer is accurate?

I'm going to suggest your thermometer is off and you are mashing lower than you think

I do not do a mash out. I think I will try doing it though next time I brew. I use 1.25qt./lbs. so I think it will help the wort runnoff a little smoother as well. I will try this and also make sure my thermometer is calibrated right as well. Thanks everyone.

I do not do a mash out. I think I will try doing it though next time I brew. I use 1.25qt./lbs. so I think it will help the wort runnoff a little smoother as well. I will try this and also make sure my thermometer is calibrated right as well. Thanks everyone.

Calculate your yeast attenuation.

(OG-FG)/(OG-1)] x 100

Depending on your yeast's attenuation range you should see about where you should end up. Your FG isn't wildy low there. But bigger beers will attenuate less.

Calculate your yeast attenuation.

(OG-FG)/(OG-1)] x 100

Depending on your yeast's attenuation range you should see about where you should end up. Your FG isn't wildy low there. But bigger beers will attenuate less.
This is definitely good to know. Thanks!

Back