Which way to use coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morkin

Reaction score
I'm using my own version of JZ sweet stout to make a coffee stout.

How should I use the coffee? I don't want to "cold press" the coffee. How should I proceed with either these two options?

1) Steep a half pound of ground coffee in the mash during the last 5 minutes of the mash and sparge?

2) Just dump a pound of crushed beans into the secondary and let them sit for about 3 weeks?

Thoughts?

the longer coffee beans set, the more bitter the flavor they release. though many people have taken the second route with good succes, it surely is not one that i would take when making a coffee beer.

Any reason why you don't want to cold steep? I wouldn't recommend the mash because coffee gets bitter when boiled, so I would be inclined to say secondary if you were really against cold steeping (although essentially cold steeping is nearly the same thing).

I was thinking 2.

"if" I did a cold steep, would I need a french press, cause I'm not going to buy anything new for this.

(Just bought a Belgian Corker and wife would kill me if I bought any more equipment)

I'm not sure how it works in a the brewing world, but when making coffee you want to have the water come into contact with the beans for the shortest amount of time possible. This is why espresso tastes noticeably sweeter than brewed or especially steeped coffee, but has lower caffeine levels.

This is the technique I used for my coffee porter a few months back: I got one of those little jars used for making preserves, dumped in a quarter pound of freshly ground coffee beans, and filled it to the top with water. Then I let it sit in the fridge while the beer was in primary. Once I moved to secondary, I strained out the liquid from the jar and added it to the carboy. Pretty simple, and the beer turned out great.

Not to say your other ideas won't work, just my $0.02. ;)

Recipe in BYO from the Beer dude at Founders says put coffee grounds in at 0 minutes. This would leave me to believe 2 weeks in a carboy - I did one Breakfast stout which turned out awesome and am doing another one as we speak.

I used 2 oz of ground Kona.

I didn't use a french press for my cold steep. I just coarsely ground about 6oz of whole coffee and put it in 48oz of boiled (then cooled) water. Let sit in the fridge 2-3days then strained them out before adding to the keg.

+1 to addition at zero minutes. I didn't want to boil my coffee, but I wanted to extract what Starbucks does - at 180F - so I put half a pound (maybe too much depending on what you're looking for - next time I'm going to try 1/4) of coarsely crushed beans after I was done making the wort - during whirlpool, chilling; overall, about a 20 minute steep.

I just made a coffee stout that came out pretty good and all i did was add a pot of coffee along with the priming sugar at bottling. it gave a nice subtle coffee flavor, but didn't get bitter from boiling. before brewing I sanitized all the coffee brewing equipment and hoped for the best. It worked it came out pretty good.

Cold steep should not take new equipment. You could just cold steep, and drain through a coffee filter.

Back