another hops question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monty3777

Reaction score
I was reading the recent thread about how to deal with hops in the fermentation stage. I read it with interest and have a related question but didn't want to jack that thread.

I bought a Hefeweitzen kit and there is no seperate bag for the hops. Called the LHBS and asked about this. He said that by utilizing a seconary fermentation bucket the hops wouldn't be an issue - floties and such.

I told him that I plan on keeping the beer in the primary for ~3 weeks and then straight to bottles. He then recommended using a strainer to keep the hops out of the fermenter.

What do you all think? I am thinking that I will just take the beer from my primary to a bottling bucket and bottle from there. Will I have an issue with loose hops if I don't strain them to keep them out of the fermenter? I am trying to limit the number of things that will come into contact with the beer and don't want to use a colander.

Do not strain them by pouring the beer through a strainer as this will oxidize the beer.

If you are using a racking cane or auto-siphon to rack your beer from your primary to your bottling bucket, most of the hops and other trub should be left behind anyway so you don't really need to worry.

I think he must have meant to use a strainer while pouring the wort into the primary. I sanitize the strainer/colander, and pour the cooled wort through it. I don't always do it, though, unless I have a ton of leaf hops. The hops will all settle out to the bottom with the trub anyway.

Wire a piece of steel wool to the end of your racking crane and the sanitze before racking. Let the fermentor rest for an hour or so after moving it to the surface you will rack from, and dont dig down into your trub when racking.

You shouldnt have a problem with hops in your bottles, especially with a hefe kit, where probably only .5 ounces or so were used.

What if I use the huge pasta pot I have to strain the hops. I could leave the colander insert in and simply pull it out before transfering to the fermenter. Any problem with that method of straining the hops?

As long as your wort isn't hot while you strain it, it won't be a problem. Straining hot wort could cause it to oxidize. I've strained before and never had a problem, until one time when I didn't cool first.

Wire a piece of steel wool to the end of your racking crane and the sanitze before racking. Let the fermentor rest for an hour or so after moving it to the surface you will rack from, and dont dig down into your trub when racking.

You shouldnt have a problem with hops in your bottles, especially with a hefe kit, where probably only .5 ounces or so were used.

I wouldn't use plain steel wool.
Beer and wort are acidic and can extract iron from plain steel.
Several hombrew gurus have suggested a copper or stainless pot scrubber on the end of a racking cane.

I wouldn't use plain steel wool.
Beer and wort are acidic and can extract iron from plain steel.
Several hombrew gurus have suggested a copper or stainless pot scrubber on the end of a racking cane.

yeah looking at my racking cane I'm actually using a piece of a copper scrubber

Go to the hardware store and pick up a paint strainer bag made for 5 gallons buckets - they are about $2 or $3 and worth their weight in gold for exactly this reason. They are reusable if you are willing to clean them, I personally just toss them and use a new one next time.

I just wrap my siphon in a cheese cloth, pretty simple just sanitize the cloth

The cheesecloth on the siphon is a good idea, How have I never thought of it?

Back