Boom!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SomedumbJerk

Reaction score
I made a double batch of EdWort's Haus Pale, and both of the airlocks blew off violently! My closet is COVERED in Krausen/hops... oh, and I even used foam control. maybe has something to do with the fact that it was 101 degrees outside today! I tried to rig the bung with a blow off tube and stick it back in, I ended up looking like the priest from the exorcist... my girl is pissed....

good times

Seriously, get pics.

Everyone who brews blows one up sooner or later. I had a lid blow clean off a coffee stout. The krausen from that looked like... well... and it was all up the bathroom wall and on the curtains over my wife's garden tub. :eek: I wish I had photos. Just sitting around the house and you hear a low hollow "thwump" noise. 10 seconds later it dawns on you what it might be and you go running in fear. Not fear of the mess, but fear that your batch might get contaminated!

Then of course I just did a hefe (paulaner clone) with a hefty starter and put it in the 6.5 carboy with a fat blowoff and only got maybe 2 inches of krausen.

The beer knows you aren't watching and throws a party!

OK, I admit that I have had a bomb several times (36 years of brewing). :) Recently I had beer running out the garage door and it was at 62F too. I used yeast from the Brewery near me and it took off right away. It got outright violent during the night and when I looked in the morning it was running out the refrigerator door and under the garage door and down the driveway. :cool:

OK, I admit that I have had a bomb several times (36 years of brewing). :) Recently I had beer running out the garage door and it was at 62F too. I used yeast from the Brewery near me and it took off right away. It got outright violent during the night and when I looked in the morning it was running out the refrigerator door and under the garage door and down the driveway. :cool:

At least you have a good source of wild yeast now :p

I keged that beer and I am going to use some of this on the next batch. The conical I got it from in the brewery was just finishing fermenting and so it was really ready to go. I think I used to much (it's just like dynamite). Whoooo Hooooo.

Everyone who brews blows one up sooner or later. I had a lid blow clean off a coffee stout. The krausen from that looked like... well... and it was all up the bathroom wall and on the curtains over my wife's garden tub. :eek: I wish I had photos. Just sitting around the house and you hear a low hollow "thwump" noise. 10 seconds later it dawns on you what it might be and you go running in fear. Not fear of the mess, but fear that your batch might get contaminated!

Then of course I just did a hefe (paulaner clone) with a hefty starter and put it in the 6.5 carboy with a fat blowoff and only got maybe 2 inches of krausen.

Woke me up one night. I laid there thinking "what the hell" for a few seconds, then lept from the bed scaring the hell out of SWMBO, fearing the possibility of contamination.

My last wheat repitched onto a cake from the previous batch with almost blew off, I thought would go crazy. Not so, maybe 2 inches.

Back