Adding spices in the keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phunhog

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I just racked my spiced Holiday beer to the keg. I purposely went a little easy on the spices...maybe a little too easy. It just doesn't taste like much. It is a good beer but it is supposed to be a spiced stout. I figure I will condition for 6 weeks and see if it improves. If not has anybody added spices directly into the keg? I figured I could boil a few ounces of water and make a concentrated tea and then add it. Opinions? Suggestions? Thanks. Al:mug:

That's usually what I do when adding spices to secondary. I boil a cup of water, then add the spices to the boiling water, but I don't actually boil them. I'm always worried I'll lose too much aroma from the spices if I boil them.

Be careful adding the spices directly to the keg. I did that 2 years ago, and I was pulling the diptube out every other day to extract spice-snot from it. I ground everything up though, so you might be better off if you are adding whole cinnamon sticks, cloves, etc.

I've added spices in that same manner with little problem. I added spices w/ water, let it sit for two days and then took a draw off it. The first half glass was a glob of spices and the rest of the keg was pretty clear.

Back