Removing chill haze from a chilled beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micycle

Reaction score
I've got a barleywine that I figured would be cloudy from the start, but want to get fixed up if possible. When mashing, the false bottom got disconnected some how and I had to empty my mash tun and refit the false bottom right before sparging. I did a 120 minute boil to try to help, hit it with whirlfloc, got it chilled in about 10-15 min (I'm in houston, my ground water's barely below 80F) and then chillgard and geletin in the secondary. It was crystal clear going into the keg but now it looks like mud. So on to the questions:

Will a stupidly hazy beer eventually clear up when cold conditioned? I know it will fix most chill haze but this one's pretty bad. It's 11% and only a month old so it's got plenty of time for ageing if that's all the fix I need.

Can you remove part or all of the chill causing complex after it's been chilled? For instance, could I add polyclar/isinglass/chillgard to remove some of the proteins and polyphenols now or can that only be done before chilling?

Filtering's out of my price range right now and I'm not too interested in it on such a small scale anyways, but is there anything else that could help clear this thing up?

i had a red ale that just wouldnt clear no matter what i did. finally i just got sick of it so i left it in the fridge and cold conditioned it for about 2 months and to my suprise it cleared up. not saying thats the magic number but usualy a few weeks aound 34 degrees seems to do the trick.

i had a red ale that just wouldnt clear no matter what i did. finally i just got sick of it so i left it in the fridge and cold conditioned it for about 2 months and to my suprise it cleared up. not saying thats the magic number but usualy a few weeks aound 34 degrees seems to do the trick.

It shouldn't be a surprise that it cleared up, that IS how you clear chill Haze, prolonged refrigeration you just leave it alone for a minimum of a week, but the longer you leave it in the better it will be.

Just like anything else in brewing TIME is the greatest asset.

An added benefit is the the sediment cake at the bottom will become more compact as well, and there will be less yeast to worry about in the pour.

I recently discovered a bottle that had been in the back of my fridge for at least 2 if not 3 months...I upended the bottle even and nothing came out from the bottom.

Latest posts

Back