Star-San Leaking in a 2.5 gallon water container?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pietaster

Reaction score
I found water all around my brew equipment in my basement this morning.

I had a 2.5 gallon container of distilled water that i added star-san to about 3 months ago and it was leaking like crazy on the bottom. I examined it, thinking maybe something pierced it but it looked like there was about 5 - 10 places where it was leaking out.. like the bottom was just eroding.

So.. is this known? Was mixing it directly into a 2.5 gallon container (at the proper dilution) a dumb idea?

What kind of container? I use a plastic bottling bucket and dilute 1/2 ounce for 3 gallons of distilled water. I've been using this for the past 2-3 years with no issues.

_

we need to know the exact concentration mixed at, and exactly what type of plastic jug. the recycle number is perfect as it'll tell us if its PET, HDPE, etc.

It was an HDPE 2 container. It was just 2.5 gallon of purified water purchased at Target. I dumped in 1/2 oz of star-san.

I looked at the container and counted four leaks on the bottom.

I had a bottling bucket I kept a regular dilution of star-san develop a "crack" in the seam at the bottom and leak all over my floors.

I keep it in a keg now.

The material HDPE, which is what water jugs and most 5 gal buckets are made from, is highly resistant to acids, and is in fact what the starsan bottle itself is made from.

Concentrated hydrochloric acid comes in HDPE; even hydrofluoric acid, which will eat through glass, can be stored in HDPE.

Back