Help:My First Cider Batch. 100% From Scratch.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kketterer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have been brewing beer for a few years now, And wanted to try a hard cider.

I picked up 5 Bushels of cider apples from the local orchard Sunday. I mashed, and pressed them Monday.
Ended up with just under 15 Gallons. It tasted wonderful. It was a mix of about 3-5 Different apples. Mac's, Cortlands, Golden Delicious, And a couple others.

Here is where I am at: (Today Thursday Sept 23rd)

Fermenter #1 5 Gallons Juice. Pressed Monday, After a couple Hours I Crushed and added 5 Camden Tablets. 24 Hours Later: I aerrated Juice I Pitched Whitelabs Champagne Liquid Yeast and racked to a Glass carboy with airlock. It Has been sitting in a 70 Degree Enviroment for 2 Days.Very little happening in the Airlock.

Fermenter #2 & #3 5 gallons Juice Pressed Tuesday (one has about 4 Gallons) I let Fresh Juice sit 24+ hours with crushed camden tabs, Then Pitched Muntons Gold Dry yeast on top. Both are in 6 Gallon buckets with airlocks.

I have read so Many different variations on what to do from here; Such as a cold crash, etc? Any Suggestions?

Hi guys, Not too sure, I was thinking one moer sweet, one dry...
The cider in glass withe liquid yeast is fermenting well.

The two batches in Buckets have zero airbubbles in the airlock after day 3. Should I rack to glass, and pitch new yeast?

Check the seal on your buckets and check SG.
The glass batch with champagne yeast will ferment out dry unless you bottle pasteurize
I'm not sure about the muntons. Ive used their standard ale yeast which is a very fast fermenter. It fermented out completely before I had a chance to cold crash it. Its an ale yeast though, so chance are you can crash it and keep some sweetness if you want. But you need to check it frequently because it goes real fast.

Back