Anyone know good Belgian Fruit Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecialEd

Reaction score
Hey all :mug: , my sister is getting married and she requested a Belgian fruit Beer, and "Dead Guy"(her fiancee's favorite). Does anyone know any good recipies? And anyone have any idea how to get 5 gallons of each about 12 states over. Can I fly with corny kegs somehow?

SpecialEd said:
Hey all :mug: , my sister is getting married and she requested a Belgian fruit Beer, and "Dead Guy"(her fiancee's favorite). Does anyone know any good recipies? And anyone have any idea how to get 5 gallons of each about 12 states over. Can I fly with corny kegs somehow?

Lambic's are belgian fruit beers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lambic

I don't think kegs are allowed to fly. I believe you have to ship them ground due to the presurization.

Yeah thats kinda what I thought too. Has anyone ever shipped them, how much does it cost and can they keep them cold? TY for the recepie

Lambics are the classic Belgian Fruit beer, but pretty tricky to brew.

Fantome saison incorporates raspberry and strawberry.

Beer Captured has clone recipes for Fantome and for Dead Guy Ale.

Anything's possible in shipping...especially if you have the right amt of $$. I'd think you could ship a keg in an igloo cooler packed with ice packs and taped shut. I say ice packs because they aren't as messy as ice, so no leakage. And I'd use the igloo max coolers so the keg would stay colder longer. Even the biggest cooler won't fit both kegs, so you'll need 2 of them. Looks like the maxcold 70 is your best bet. Going to take a TON of ice packs also.

Igloo MAXcool coolers: 2 @ $70
Ice packs: 50? @ $2
Shipping for 2 coolers: $$$$$
Having homebrew at your sisters wedding: Well.....expensive to say the least.

A full keg weighs 60lbs iirc. Say 10lbs for the cooler, and 30lbs for the ice packs. You're looking at 100lbs give or take. Shipping 12 states over, lets assume you live in Bangor Maine, and your sister is in Flagstaff Arizona. That's 12 states...depending on your route. So, we assume 200lbs via the cheapest service (UPS Ground). That's only $170+ for shipping. Or if you're feeling thrifty and send it late, you can get next day delivery for $800. Boy...what a bargain. Sounds like a road trip may be in order.

Jester4176 said:
Anything's possible in shipping...especially if you have the right amt of $$. I'd think you could ship a keg in an igloo cooler packed with ice packs and taped shut. I say ice packs because they aren't as messy as ice, so no leakage. And I'd use the igloo max coolers so the keg would stay colder longer. Even the biggest cooler won't fit both kegs, so you'll need 2 of them. Looks like the maxcold 70 is your best bet. Going to take a TON of ice packs also.

Igloo MAXcool coolers: 2 @ $70
Ice packs: 50? @ $2
Shipping for 2 coolers: $$$$$
Having homebrew at your sisters wedding: Well.....expensive to say the least.

A full keg weighs 60lbs iirc. Say 10lbs for the cooler, and 30lbs for the ice packs. You're looking at 100lbs give or take. Shipping 12 states over, lets assume you live in Bangor Maine, and your sister is in Flagstaff Arizona. That's 12 states...depending on your route. So, we assume 200lbs via the cheapest service (UPS Ground). That's only $170+ for shipping. Or if you're feeling thrifty and send it late, you can get next day delivery for $800. Boy...what a bargain. Sounds like a road trip may be in order.

It might be cheaper to quit your job and move to where she lives so you can brew the beer at her place!!!!:drunk:

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing!!!

later,
mikey

my dads friend actually always flys back tro the states with a pony keg when he goes home to belgium. and at the brewery i work at, when we go to beer fests in chicago where we distribute, we fly 5 gallons over, but i've never been involved with it, so i'm not sure the exact process. i could find out on monday though. a wit is a easier belgian beer to brew which has a good fruity flavor, although no actual fruit if you don't want to screw around with lambics (which are gross anyways...IMO of course)

i'll be that way in a couple weeks actually with him. not in belgium, but germany for the world cup, should i mail you a pony keg from germany...somehow i think shipping would be kinda expensive....seriously, i might try bringing something back with me.

Hmm well ty for all the help guys. I can just imagine explaining two large heavy cylindrical metal objects to the Federal Aviation Security. lol. Yeah I thought about shipping in coolers and your right Jester a little impractical. The only other thought I had was good ol bottles. 22oz pockets of joy.
Oh and ive been reading up on Lambics...
bewing Dead Guy ale.....$35
finding a way to ship it.....$100
telling your sister there is no way your going to spend 8 weeks of tedious temperature changes, finding unheard of yeasts and hop varities, and going way above your brew skills......priceless

if anyone has a shipping epiphany letme know....THANKS FELLAS, brewers are the best!

Back